Chapter Two || Blood Dream

You hold your breath and become one with the wall. All noise seems to cease except the antagonizingly sharp footsteps nearing you with every second passed. Will they find you? You are tempted to squeeze your eyes shut, but you also fear that if you do, when you opened them, they would suddenly appear and get you.

It was dark and ominous. The wall you pressed yourself upon was cool and dank. A rancid smell reached your nostrils, making you gag. It was the stench of death. Something horribly wet and sticky dribbled down your back, gliding along your spine. You startle, reaching a hand back and swiping up some on your fingers. You bring them close to your face, squinting to see. It was a dark, crimson liquid, viscous like syrupy honey. In horror, you realize it was blood. You spin around and back up, discovering more of the life blood splattered over the wall, conveying a message. Terrified but unable to help your curiosity, you peer closely, trying to translate.

We're coming for you.

Almost there.

"We're here."

You jolt upright, almost head-butting your cousin Jane.

"Whoa, hey! Watch it, Coals!" Jane jerks away, her manicured hands up in surrender. You rest a hand over your frantically beating heart, feeling salty sweat dotting your burning hot skin. Just a dream, Just a dream, you tell yourself over and over, trying to calm your ragged breathing, with gaining success.

"You okay, Coals?" Jane asks you, using your nickname she gave you, oh, nine years ago? It has to do with your cold nature, but with the fact that, if treated properly and given the correct ingredients, you could be a warm, passionate blaze. (Snort)

"Yeah, Im fine. Just a bad dream." You say curtly.

"Hell, if thats your bad dreams, I'd hate to see your nightmares." She comments.

"The hell are you doing in my bedroom anyway, Pain?" I growl.

"Its time to get up and you weren't responding to Carol's yelling. No wonder." She holds up an earbud.

"This was in your ears and Jack was screaming about some dude named Billy." I snatch back my precious headphone.

"I dont know how you can stand that guy- all he does is yell stupid stuff."

"Get OUT of my room!" You snarl. When she leaves, you heave a sigh, setting your headphones down on the keyboard of your computer.

"Thats why I like him so much..." you say quietly. Silently, you get dressed and ready for the day.

Looking in the little mirror sitting on your desk, you notice your cheeks are blotchy, your (e/c) eyes red from crying in your sleep. You rub your face, your cool hands making it feel better. That was a really bad one

It wasn't uncommon for you to have unpleasant dreams. It was actually expected, seeing as you had witnessed your own parents' murders. All that blood... you give yourself a shake, brushing aside the fuzzy memories.

"Its already a cruddy day," You mutter.

"And its about to get worse." You jump a mile and spin around, eyes darting this way and that, looking for your intruder. 

Your room is empty save for you. Was it-?

"Jane? I told you to get the hell out of my room..." No reply. You swallow the lump in your throat, willing your fidgety heart to calm. 

Just your imagination... Just your overactive imagination...

But it seemed so real.

So close.

So... right behind you...