Chapter Nine: Stay

Start from the beginning

"Dammit!" Max's voice yelled out harshly from my guest room. "Addy!"

I threw myself from the couch, launching myself down the hall as the yelling continued. "Adeline!" he screamed, and I didn't even stop as I realized he was calling for his ex girlfriend. "Adeline!" he called again.

I bursted into the room, watching Max's sleeping body tense and arch as he whimpered and cried out. I was by his side in an instant, sitting next to him as I cupped his face in my hand.

"Addy..." he whispered, brokenly. "I'm sorry..."

I shook Max lightly. "Max..." I spoke. "Darling, wake up... It's just a dream, sweet boy. It's just a dream."

Max's brown eyes snapped open, his hand grabbing mine as he gasped for air. His breaths were heavy and slow as tears began to track down his cheeks, forcing himself to sit up against the headboard as he curled into a tight ball.

"Hey..." I whispered soothingly, resting my hand on his knee. He flinched slightly at the contact, before frowning at my hurt expression.

"I'm sorry..." Max murmured, reaching out his hand. "Did I wake you?"

I shrugged a little, letting him take my hand as tears continued to leak down his cheeks. "It's not really relevant," I promised. "Are you okay?"

Max slowly shook his head. "Nightmare," he said quietly, sniffling. "They happen now and again..." he paused. "Was I yelling?"

I nodded a little, scooting a little closer. "What can I do?" I asked. Max slowly slid his sweaty t-shirt off his body, using it to wipe his face.

"What was I screaming?" he asked, ignoring my question. I squeezed his hand, biting my bottom lip.

"Adeline," I spoke. "You were yelling for her, telling her you were sorry."

Max angrily tossed his shirt on the floor. "Dammit," he cursed, burying his face in his hand. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head, leaning forward and leaving a small kiss on his forehead. "Please don't be sorry, darling," I told him. "You can't help nightmares."

Max started crying again, taking deep breaths. The sight of his tears broke my heart, and I wanted nothing more than to soothe him and let him know it was all okay.

"Hey..." I whispered again, crawling to sit beside him. I guided him to lean against me, slipping my arms around his shoulders as his found their way around my waist. His body was racked with rough sobs as he buried his face in my neck, his grip tightening as I began running my fingers through his hair soothingly. We laid like that for a long time, with Max's crying slowly dissipating into soft hiccups and sad little sniffles. His breathing eventually slowed, his body relaxing slowly against mine, leading me to believe he'd fallen into a rough sleep.

I sighed quietly. "Oh, darling..." I whispered. "What happened that's got you so torn up and broken on the inside?" I mused aloud, kissing his forehead. I sighed again, before slowly beginning to extract myself from his arms.

Max whimpered harshly, latching onto me and pressing himself closer. I stopped my movements, listening to his ragged breathing slowly return to normal.

"Please don't go..." I heard him mumble sleepily. I was unable to tell whether he was talking in his sleep or he was consciously asking me to stay...

But I stayed anyway.

* * * * *

This was the second time I'd woken up spooned against Max.

His arms were strong around my waist, his breath easy and sweet in my ear. I felt beyond comforted in his grip, felt the steady rise and fall of his bare chest against my body create this air of ease around me. I smiled slightly, loving in my sleepy state how safe I felt buried under a comforter with Max's arms encasing me gently.