Chapter 21: A Call To The Mayor

Gregg leans into the screen to see the image better. The security camera quality was terrible, and the grainy footage only depicted a general idea of what happened, but he could still see it clearly: a super.

He smiled. They were coming out. They were making themselves known.

Everything was going according to plan.

Sitting back, pleased, Gregg picks up his office telephone and dials the number for city hall.

"Burnsbary City Hall," a pleasant male voice answered. "How may I direct your call?"

"Ah, yes. I would like to speak to the Mayor Hannigan please?"

"What, may I ask, is your name?"

"Gregg Morgans."

"Alright. One moment, please."

Waiting for the mayor to pick up was one of the longest thirty seconds that Gregg had ever had to endure.

Finally, the line was active again. "Hello?" Mayor Hannigan answered. "Mr. Morgans?"

"Yes."

"How may I help you?" Mayor Hannigan was straight to the point, and seemed the slightest bit impatient.

Gregg cleared his throat. "Have you heard the news of the incident this morning yet?"

"Of course I have. I'm the mayor."

"Isn't it just terrible?"

The mayor sighed. "I suppose. What is the nature of this call? If it is just to exchange pleasantries and concern for what happened today, then I really want no part in it, thank you. I am a very busy woman, and I have a lot of things to do today."

"Of course. I understand. I have a proposition for you..."

_____________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter! It'll make sense eventually. Just trust me!