Chapter 18: A Villain Can't Be Heroic

September 17 - Saturday

Solve the radical equations. Multiple solutions may exist.

1. √3b = 3

2. 3√4c = 18

The light outside was dim as the sun set, giving off an eerie glow. The moon was not quite bright yet, and the stars were just peeking out from behind the black velvet sky.

As Alex worked on her math homework, she turned off her music and switched on the radio. Maybe she'd hear some better music than what she had. Flipping through the stations, she settled on a news station. It would be helpful for when she did her social studies homework.

"It is a nice temperature of six degrees Celsius outside right now, with three kilometers an hour winds. It's a nice night to just stay home and relax," said the overly cheery radio voice.

Alex finished the first few questions easily, and flipped over the paper turning to the harder questions.

"In other news, the Super villain, now known as Eximius, has attacked our city again. He was spotted in the park, where he was tearing up trees and the playground structure and throwing them around. A few people were injured, and were rushed to the hospital right away. No one was killed, and the authorities are intent on catching this dangerous criminal before too late."

Alex glanced over at the clock and saw that it was about eight at night. The last time this villain, Eximius, had attacked, it had been broad daylight.

She shuddered when she thought of the last time he had been seen. The road was closed for an estimated two to three weeks.

She shook her head sadly. All of the people that owned businesses on those streets... All of the homes...

"Another Super was seen at the scene of the crime--someone that calls himself Sparrow."

Perking up, Alex dropped her pencil and turned up the volume on the radio.

"He was seen with Eximius, and, for the meantime, we can assume that he is working with this villain. Some say that he was fighting Eximius, but at this time, we cannot say anything for sure."

Alex blanched. They thought Sparrow was a villain like Eximius? But... If he were a villain, why would he have saved Alex? Why would he have cared? He would have just left her to die if he were a villain. There was no way he could be who they accused him of being.

She sat back and frowned.

Did she even really know who he was?

Maybe he was a villain, but she just didn't know it, or was ignorant to that fact.

Or maybe he was a villain in disguise. Or a hero in disguise.

If Alex was being honest to herself, she didn't even know if she could trust him. She didn't know his name, or his age, or his hair colour.

She didn't know anything about him!

So why did she feel like she could trust him with her life? Like no matter what, she could put her faith in him, and he would come through for her?

He was a complete stranger, and yet she felt like... Like he was honorable, and courageous. That he was willing to risk his life to do the right thing. That he was smart and strong and valiant, and heroic.

Heroic.

A villain can't be heroic, right?  

_______________________________________

What do you think? Can a Villain be heroic?