Chapter 10: Known Surprises

I paced around the living room of 221b biting my nails, then internally scolding myself for ruining the two year streak of not doing so. I sat down, tapped my knee, stood up, walked over to the fireplace, glared at my reflection in the mirror and then repeated my exact movements. It was impressive how I was able to copy my movements down to every detail. Or sad.

When the door bell rung once, then twice more,  all my 'calmness' faded away leaving only panic and panic...

Hesitantly I made my way down the stairs. I would stop then turn back hoping to face my problems another day, then I would realise my stupidity and put on a brave face heading back down the stairs. It must have taken me at least an extra minute just to make up my mind and carefully open the door.

An angry face greeted me on the other side and I instantly regretted my decision. "What took you so long? I've been waiting out here for hours." I rolled my eyes at Madelyn's behaviour. She might be the best female doctor in the world but she defiantly does not have the best patience.

"I trust you know how to use them." When I nodded she thrust my package into my hands and then stormed out of the building, slamming the door behind me.

Rude.

Shaking I headed back upstairs, checking Mrs Hudson wasn't going to surprise me by popping up with tea and biscuits. Once I reassured myself that I was safe I entered the apartment bathroom.

The cupboard door provided a hazard as I hit the corner. I bent down to close it only to knock a box onto the floor. I recognised the  purple box, a reminder of the period I had recently missed. I just hoped all the signs were wrong.

I cautiously opened the package Madelyn got me, emptying it into my hand, as two boxes tumbled out. I was surprised that I was still alive, due to the fact that I was expecting some sort of ferocious monster to leap out of the small bag.

After opening the boxes and reading the instructions once, twice and then three times I completed the test and left them on the side.

The next 2 minutes were the longest in my life. I had to resort to doing yoga positions in an attempt to calm myself and not sit in the corner and panic. Usually the boredom slowly edging itself into my mind would completely overcome any other emotion but I was so stressed that my worry easily overpowered the boredom.

The 2 minutes ended and i made my way towards the test. Each step I made reminding me of the power those two tiny sticks had over me.

You can't possibly be pregnant.

Step.

How would you look after a child?

Step.

Your not good enough to be a mother.

Step.

Do you want this?

My final step echoed throughout the room. My hands reached plastic, my eyes glanced at the symbols on the screen. I knew it. The whole time I knew the answer but I didn't want to admit it, then It became real and I would have to face the consequences. I studied the test terrified at what they showed.

Both pluses. I'm pregnant.

My knees buckled under me causing my body to fall against the wall. The weight of the stress that had been building up inside me, becoming unbearable. The realisation finally dawning on me as my deductions had been confirmed. If only they were wrong.

I'm going to be a mother...

               ..............................

Sorry it's only short but I really wanted to update. I hope you guys enjoyed please tell me what you think. Thank you for reading xx