Chapter 5: Where it all began.

*not edited (yet, I'm tired don't judge)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mrs Hudson." Mrs Hudson walks out of 221A and hands Sherlock a set of keys. He goes about opening the door whilst I look for anything that might help.

"This door has been open recently." I say inspecting the key hole.

Mrs Hudson looks at me with disbelief."No, can't be that's the only key."

"You don't need a key to get in a locked room." Sherlock eyes me suspiciously and I send him a wink.

Whilst Sherlock and I enter the flat Mrs Hudson is prattling on about something extremely mundane. She lost me at her first word.

Sherlock heads towards the middle of the room where a pair of trainers is waiting in the middle. Suddenly John stops him."He's a bomber remember."

Sherlock nods and grabs my hand leading us both towards the shoes. When I lean down to inspect them closer Sherlock's phone goes off.

"Hello Sexy." A woman's voice is heard on the other side but what's strange is that she is crying.

"Why are you crying?" Sherlock must have been thinking the same thing as me.

"Your not sexy, your the strange one and I'm not crying, I'm typing. This bitch is reading it out." That makes a surprising about of sense.

I grab the phone off Sherlock. "Who is this? Why are you doing this?"

"So many questions sexy. You and strange have 9 hours to complete my puzzle or I'm going to be very naughty." When I realise 'she' has hung up I hand the phone to Sherlock.

I then grab the shoes and head out the door calling to the boys behind me. "Coming?"

Sherlock smirks and nods while John just follows him like a lost puppy. An idea springs in my head and I turn to John and Sherlock. "Are you two together?"

John looks embarrassed, whilst Sherlock just rolls his eyes at me. "No...um I'm not gay." John says looking down at his feet.

"And you?" I look at Sherlock who takes the trainers from my hand.

"Nope pretty straight." He kisses my cheek then walks out the room. What was all that about? Don't normal people kiss people that they romantically like?

Sherlock's not normal.

---

"Mycroft's gay." I look up from my work at Sherlock who is sitting doing some experiments on the shoes.

"What?" I ask him confused.

"You were asking earlier if John and I were gay. We're not...but Mycroft is." I nod my head in understanding. I get back to my work and only look up again when a women with mouse brown hair enters the room.

"Molly." Sherlock greets her absentmindedly. I don't think Molly notices that, as she beams at him. Strange.

Shortly after a man walks into the room looking for Molly."Is everyone in this hospital going to come through that door."

John the walks though the door and I let out a long sigh. " I'll take that as yes." Sherlock chuckles slightly whilst Molly introduce the mystery man.

" This is Jim my boyfriend. He works in It, office romance." I roll my eyes and mumble under my breath."Great thanks for that. I really don't care."

"Jim this is Sherlock Holmes and John Watson his partner?" She gestures towards Sherlock and John.

She then turns to me. "And this is...um sorry I don't think we've met."

"Effie Carter. Please to make your acquaintance." She looks slightly confused as does John. Sherlock and Jim on the other hand are completely natural both for different reason. Sherlock because he knows I don't like giving out my real name and Jim because he thinks that it is really my name. John's confusion I understand but Molly's I'm not sure about. That is until I hear the stupidest thing to ever come out of someone's mouth.

"Did you just say your name is Messy Carter? As in your messy with carting?" I sigh and look at her expecting her to be joking but she is completely serious. Serious and stupid.

"It's Effie Carter. E F F I E. Effie. I can write it down for you if you want?" She smiles sweetly and shakes her head. I just ignore her getting bored of the meaningless conversation.

"Your the famous Sherlock Holmes. Molly's told me all about you. Are you on one of your case?." Jim heads towards Sherlock sparking a small glimmer of interest.

I start to look at him, really look at him. I notice his extreme level of personally grooming. Tinted eyelashes; clear signs of taurine cream around the frown lines; those tired clubber's eyes. Then there's his underwear visible above the waistline. Very visible.

Sherlock seems to be thinking along the same lines as me as he suddenly says "gay." Molly looks shocked and luckily Sherlock quickly covers it up by pretending he said hey.

I cringe when Jim drops a dish off the table then scrambles to pick it back up giggling. "Sorry, sorry." I notice a piece of paper under the dish and roll my eyes. He left his number how unsubtle can he possibly be.

Whilst everyone says there goodbyes Sherlock and I just ignore everyone else carrying on with our work. "What do you mean he's gay?" Sherlock suddenly starts to explain the observations I made only moments ago and when he finishes Molly runs out the room crying.

"Well done. Your such a charmer." John says angrily.

"I was just saving her time isn't that kinder?" John and I both answer at the same time then he glares at me.

"Yes ." I say agreeing with him.

"No."

"No Sherlock. That was not kind. Shame on you for agreeing with him Addy." This time Sherlock gets angry.

"Addilyn." John looks at him confused as to whom he is talking to.

"Her name is Addilyn. Only I can call her Addy." I roll my eyes at Sherlock's childish behaviour. Something clicks inside Johns head and I'm glad his cogs are in fact working.

"Your name. Why didn't you give them your real name? Why did you say your name was Effe." I ignore him and Sherlock changes the subject by getting him to look closely at the trainers.

I switch back Into the conversation when Sherlock's computer starts beeping. " So, a kid, suffering from eczema, who owned these trainers came to London from Sussex twenty years ago and left them behind."

Sherlock is still thinking it over but I've already got the answer. "So something must have happened to him. Something bad. He moved this trainers he wouldn't leave them behind."

"Sherlock." He looks at me realising that I was there.

"Carl Powers." Sherlock joins the dots quickly in his head working out how I came to that conclusion.

"Of course. Your brilliant Addy." I flick my hair and grin at him.

"Oh trust me I know." He rolls his eyes and heads out the door with John. It's at that moment that I revive a text.

Mistress we need you. Go where the boy who lost track of time went to be found. You might be a while this time.

Shadow.

Looks like I've been summoned to Big Ben. I grin and follow Sherlock out.When I catch up with him and John they are just about to get into a cab.

" Sherlock I have to go I'll probably be a day or two. Good luck with Carl Powers. You always did say you hoped someone would solve it. How ironic that person is you." We both share a look and he nods but John stops me before I leave.

"Who even is Carl Powers?"

"He's where we began."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you enjoyed please let me know what you think. I love hearing your feedback .