Thirteen

He forgot who had started the fight. It didn't matter anyway, they had said what they had and they had both agreed to sleep separate that night.

What had they said?

There were screams of distrust, of being scared and of losing the other. And somewhere in the midst of both of those things, Farkle had screamed that he'd rather be anywhere but there with her and that she was crazy and unlovable and that's why her boyfriends had broken up with her.

He remembers the falling of her face. The stumble in her step as she backed up. The heavy breaths he took afterwards once she had closed the door and thrown out a blanket and his pillow. He remembers the clearest of them all, how he had meant none of it.

It wasn't until later that night when he felt Riley move in next to him, their thin couch barely fitting them.

"I don't want us to be like my parents," Farkle whispered, staring into his girlfriend's eyes. He rubs her arms, comfortingly as she moves a bit closer.

"We won't be," she assures him, kissing his forehead and cupping his cheek, "Everyone fights, and I love you, and we'll get through this just like we always have."
Farkle moved away a bit to look at her. "You what?" he asked, confused. Riley blushed, her cheeks filling with color. "I love you, you numnut."

"I love you too," he smiles back.
"We're going to be alright, right?" Riley asked him, her voice hesitant and scared.
"I'd bet my life on it," he whispered, pulling her closer and hugging her tight.