Protestant Anne of Cleves II

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 32, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: In the show, Philip, the Duke of Bavaria, is a potential suitor for the Lady Mary. In real life, Philip, Duke of Palatinate-Neuburg, courted the Lady Mary. They first met in December of 1539, during which he gave her a gift and kissed her. Mary reciprocated his affections, even though there were religious differences between the two. Many at court believed that they would be married, but Henry did not allow them to because of Philip's relation to Anne. He visited her a few more times after Henry had sent him away from court. He was 36 when he first met Mary, and died in 1548 at the age of 45.

20 January 1539

"Gentlemen, we bid you welcome to Calais on this most auspicious occasion," the English ambassador said.

Anne of Cleves had finally arrived in English-occupied France. Though the contract of marriage between King Henry and Anne had been signed months ago, there were things that had to be done in preparation and so on and so forth before the Princess could start her journey to England.

Amelia stood beside her husband, and for one of the first times since she had become a mother, she had left all of her children in someone else's care, specifically Mary and Clemence. It made her feel a tad bit nervous, especially given how young Jane was, but she maintained that Mary and Clemence would do what was in the best interest of all of the children.

"Danke," one of the German ambassadors replied.

A particularly awkward moment of silence followed. The English ambassador, naturally, had been expecting a conversation to ensue, but it was obvious that the German men did not think the same way.

"May I present to you His Grace, the Duke of Suffolk, and his wife, the Duchess," the English ambassador hastily said, trying to hide his surprise.

"Your Graces, an honor," one of the ambassadors said with a bow. "Ich bin Herr Hoghesten, und dies ist Graf Olisleger," Hoghesten told them, gesturing to both himself and the man next to him. I am Mr. Hoghesten, and this is Count Olisleger.

"Hello," the Count said. "And here is she, Her Highness, Princess Anne, after a long time, my God."

There was a collective chuckle in the room at the Count's statements, since everyone could feel the validity of them. To Charles and the English ambassador, the process seemed uncomfortably long, but Amelia completely understood the fanfare that went into the presentation of a Princess to foreign dignitaries.

Finally, Anne of Cleves stood before them, dressed in black from head to toe, her face obscured by a black veil.

"Your Highness," Charles said with a bow. The English ambassador and Amelia followed suit.

The woman curtsied in response. "Good day, Your Grace."

"I'm afraid the bad weather will prevent our sailing for a few days," Charles told her, shooting Amelia a nervous glance. He wasn't sure how well the Princess spoke English.

"I understand," was all she said in response.

There was another short pause. "Your Highness, I would like to present to you my wife, the Duchess Amelia, and daughter to His Majesty King Henry VIII," Charles said.

"Eure Hoheit, wilkommen in England," Amelia said, bowing again. "Seine Majestät hat mich mit Ihnen hilft, mehr Komfort mit unserer Sprache und Kultur fühlen." Your Highness, welcome to England. His Majesty has tasked me with helping you feel more comfortable with our language and culture.

"Danke, Herzogin," Anne replied. She smiled warmly, even though she couldn't be seen from behind her veil. "Perhaps Your Graces could, uh..." She paused, struggling to find the words. "Welche Engländer essen?" she finally asked.