Chapter 5

"Shane enough already," I snapped pushing at his hands. "There's no time and we've got to get downstairs."

"What's your hurry," Shane's eyes met mine through the mirror that hung upon my wall. "The same old powdered eggs and oatmeal are still going to be there in a half hour."

Brushing my hair up into a ponytail I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes into the back of my head. "It's not like Carol can just drive to the grocery store to make everyone happy. She does the best she can with what she's got. Besides when was the last time you went hungry?"

"Ok hold on a second," Shane held his hands up, "Don't put words in my mouth."

"You might want to show a little gratitude is all I'm saying." Picking up my elastic I wound it in my hair pulling my pony tight. Pushing my chair back I grabbed my backpack slinging it over my shoulder as I stood. "And a person does that by showing up on time for the meals Carol cooks."

Stopping in the doorway of the cell I looked impatiently over my shoulder, "Are you coming or not?"

Placing his hands on his hips Shane gave me a lopsided smirk as he shrugged his shoulders, "Your obviously pissed at me. You didn't want to talk last night because you had a headache. What's your reason now?"

God I hated it when Shane looked at me with that holier than thou smirk. I wanted nothing more than to wipe it right off his face for good. Drumming my fingers against the cells door frame the clinking sound of my rings hitting the metal echoed my impatience. "I'm not talking about this now, I'll just meet you downstairs."

"If not now when Jenna?" Shane demanded as he stepped towards me.

When I'm good and fucking ready I thought to myself, "Jesus christ....  Let me get my appointment book out and well schedule a time. Enough all ready."

"That's a little uncalled for don't you think," Shane raised his eyebrows as he ran his hand along his jaw line. "I'm just trying to talk to you."

Normally here was about the point where I would feel guilty. Relent because I felt like a heel and just let things slide. Today however there wasn't a trace of guilt or remorse. Only the pungent knowledge of betrayal. The man standing before me had a whole other side I wished I never knew.

"I've got shit to do," I said as I turned walking away heading for the cafeteria. "I'll talk to you later."

Grabbing my bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee I rolled my shoulders taking a deep breath. There was going to be only one way to get through the day and that was to just get on with it. Exhaling slowly I walked towards the table pulling a up a chair beside Carol.

"Morning Jenna," Mike said before returning to his storey. "I can top that one. My mom got the flue real bad one Thanksgiving so the duties of cooking supper fell on my dad. Now granted the man could do almost anything but couldn't cook if his life depended on it. Taking moms big soup pot she had dad proceeded to boil the shit out of this poor turkey for four hours."

Curling his face up in a knot Mike leaned back in his chair, "I can tell you this much nothing smells worse than boiling turkey and it literally turns into an uneatable rubber. To this day I've never seen anything that resembles that poor turkey."

"Oh my god that's terrible," Carol laughed as she covered her mouth. "What did you guys do?"

"It took about ten minutes of dad chewing on the same piece of turkey but he eventually gave in and ordered pizza." Mike grinned as he took a drink from his coffee.