Chapter 7

He gave me shocked as he lowered his book from his face. I chuckled at his expression. He must be baffled at the thought of me reading. Ha! Look at me, dresses in rags. He must wonder how I could possibly read. I wasn't always a street rat you know.

"Are you surprised, Monsieur?" I chuckled. He noticed his shocked expression and quickly concealed it. His stone expression found its way back to its rightful place. He placed his book on the circular table and looked at me emotionlessly.

"Not at all. What brings you here, might I ask?" He said leaning back in his chair. He steadily gazed into my eyes, as if searching for something. I reverted my gaze to little Gavroche, sitting about 10 feet away reading and looking through the picture books.

"Gavroche wanted to visit the library. So here we are." I said. Looking back at Enjolras, who was looking at Gavroche sitting with a large stack of books. A spotted a small glimpse of pity in his eyes, but very concealed. He turned his gaze back to me.

"What brings you here this day, Monsieur?" I said cocking my head slightly. As soon as I asked, a fire of passion was lit in his eyes. He must have been here on account of the revolution. He have me a ghost of a smile.

"Preparing for the revolution, of course. It is but only a mere 12 months away!" He leaned forward in his chair and stood up slightly, and clenched his fist with excitement. "We'll give them a screwing they won't soon forget! Especially with our magnificent new plans--" he stopped himself. He lowered his fist and sat back down. He looked away guiltily.

"New plans? You've made new plans?" I asked, curious of his new battle strategy. He looked back up at me, a slight trace of guilt in his blue eyes.

"How are the boys doing?" He asked quickly. I decided to let his strange behaviour slip. After all, it must be non of my business. My focus was quickly reverted from his nervous behaviour. I smiled slightly at the thought of my boys.

"Quite well, merci. They remain rather occupied running about and such." I said thinking of my boys. He sighed, sounding relieved and smiled back.

"I've delighted to hear you are doing well." He said leaning back in his chair. His face held a solemn, yet harsh look, much different from Montparnasses mischievous one.

We sat in silence again. Not an awkward one as you know. I sat watching Gavroche as a pair of blue eyes studied me carefully. The silence felt like an eternity but in reality was a mere 6 minutes. I decided to break the silence.

"You know much of the monarchy, I take." I said looking back at him. My words seemed to snap him out of a daze. And his stern look returned.

"Yes, I know much of their faults at the least." He snapped at the word faults. I noticed his fist clenched on the table, out of anger.

"Such trash they are. They say they rule a country, when all they do is fill their damn pockets." I chuckled. He looked at me with a strange smile. I've never seen a smile like such on him before. I've only ever seen ghosts of a smile, or a confident smirk. But no. This smile! It was one I've never seen on this man! However, it was too good to be true. This smile lasted but an instant. His stone expression returned.

"Yes, such trash they are! I've never though of you as-as a.."

"Smart? Somewhat intelligent?" I chuckled.

"Not to be rude but...Yes!"

"Most wouldn't. I don't look th' part at most. However, my opinions are strong yet irrelevant." I sighed looking away. I could sense him on the edge of his seat, as if itching to ask me something.

"Might I ask, what is your opinion on this revolution." He said quietly. I was slightly taken aback by this question. My opinion to most --especially of his class-- are un important. However, when someone asks my opinion they get it however they don't always like the answer.