Chapter 5

I ran. The rain stung as it hit my face. The bitter wind blew hard as I ran down the dark streets, bare foot. Single street lamps lit the dark, dark cobbles stone streets. The poor sleeping against the building, prostitues standing under the dimly lit lanterns. I ran past them as fast as I can. He must be close behind me. This is bad. Terribly bad. The rain started to pour down harder. The misty rain blurred my vision. The slippery ground became more and more wet by the second. My own feet betrayed my as they slid over the wet cobble stone. I tripped and slipped at the same time, making me fall forward. I landed on my side as I skid down the wet street. I heard the sound of running foot steps coming closer and closer until they stopped. I closed my eyes and brace myself for what was about to happen. The man walked up in front of me.

"Dare punch me, eh?" He chuckled.

as he landed a swift kick to my side. I winced in pain as a sharp feeling shot through my body. I knew I would die here. Alone, beaten. No one would care. I'm alone. I was ready for what would happen.

I felt him grab me by the collar of my shirt and haul me up so that I was eye level with him. I opened my eyes slightly, to see the man clearly. He had dark hair and grey eyes. Some might call him handsome, but in these circumstances, I would think not.

"Better not lay a finger on me. Not again. Especially for a stupid child like that blond haired Thenardier. " He said a deceitful smirk on his face.

"Go to hell. You damn bastard!" I said and spat in his face. He clenched his jaw and threw my body to the ground making my slide once again. I skid across the cobble stone once more. This time, however, my head smashed against the ground. I felt liquid pouring from the side of my forehead. I lifted my fingers to touch it when I realized, my hat. It was gone. My eyes wandered the ground near by, when I saw it. Sitting in a deep puddle of water. I felt my long hair plaster against my face in the rain. The man walked towards me, a smug look on his face. When he became visible his smug face changed. He looked shocked. I slowly got up, my side stinging and my head gushing red liquid. I was wobbly, and shivering in the cold. His shocked expression remained as I limped over to him clutching my broken side, my long hair wet and falling down my chest.

"Your a-a girl!" He said astonished.

"Damn right I'm a girl! An' I'll do more than lay a finger on you if-if you h-hurt Gavr - " My vision became blurred and my head felt as if it were splitting itself in half. I held my bleeding wound. I could still feel the gushing blood. I became light headed. The man looked at me concerned, he asked me something, I couldn't understand him. His face distorted as my vision turned black. I stumbled back, blinking my eyes, it was as if for that moment i had gone blind. My legs crippled under me. I waited for the hard ground to meet my side, but it didn't. Someone had caught me. I felt myself being pulled in by darkness. I had lost consciousness.

"Garnier? Garnier?......Garnier!"

I woke up my breath heavy and sweat on my brow. I looked around frantically. To see Enjolras standing in front of me with a concerned look on his face. My eyes wandered to see that I was in an apartment. Enjolras's apartment to be more specific. I remembers last night, getting drunk and being taken in by him. I touched my head, it was just a dream. I felt for my cap. Yes, it was still on my head. I sighed a breath of relief. It was only a dream. No. But it wasn't a dream at all. It was..... A memory.

"Y-Yes Enjolras?" I said trying to collect myself. He furrowed his eyebrows sternly.

"You were walking and moving around violently. Are you alright?" He said the nodding at me. I nodded and stood up.

"Where's Gavroche?" I said looking at the empty couch, I became panicked and I looked around frantically. He saw the panicked look in my eyes and places his hand on my shoulder.