Chapter 18

That week Marcus spent every second he could with Caspian, never leaving him alone with the danger Caspian seemed to attract.

However, there were moments where it was impossible for him to be beside Caspian, so he found himself in the company of Morgan and Atlantis.

"I want to learn how to fight," Marcus said one morning.

Atlantis' golden eyes grew wide, "Are you sure?"

A smile spread over Morgan's lips, "Does this have anything to do with Caspian?"

"I want to protect him. I don't want to be a burden on his shoulders," Marcus murmured softly, not quite telling the entire truth. Ever since he entered the gates, he had this simmering desire to wield a weapon. It shocked him. Never before did he ever feel or display any violent tendencies.

Atlantis' brows furrowed as he swam around Marcus, gold eyes peering at his slender form.

"Perhaps dual swords may work best for you, but I think it's best you try out every weapon," Atlantis murmured before turning to Morgan, "What do you think?"

Marcus watched as Morgan's eyes raked over Atlantis's form before looking at Marcus, "Yes, but perhaps the dual swords may work best."

"I hear talk of weapons. You don't plan on starting a war are you?" Caspian teased, his hands resting on Marcus's shoulders.

Marcus giggled softly, "None at all my love. In fact I want to learn how to wield a weapon."

Caspian thought for a moment before speaking, "I can help you with that."

Marcus's lips parted in surprise as he entered the room.

Not even a room. It looks as big as a museum, he thought, eyes wandering over the armor and weapons that shined beneath the light.

"Impressive isn't it?" Morgan murmured in Marcus's ear.

Marcus giggled, "It's awesome!" he cried, his tail propelling him forward, eyes trailing over the weapons that glowed. Swords laid on racks, some sharp, others with curved tips. Shields hung on the wall, strange symbols decorating the center. As he moved around, a small glint caught his eye.

They looked different from the rest, dull and covered in barnacle. Two blades of the exact same size and shape rested on a black stone, nearly fused to it by the barnacles.

"What is this?" Marcus spoke, his eyes turning to Caspian.

He chuckled quietly, "You won't be able to lift those love. They're heavier than anchors, not even the servants couldn't even lift them to polish."

"Perhaps they're weak," Atlantis said, an unusual cocky glint in his gold eyes, "I want to try."

"Be my guest," Caspian smirked.

Atlantis grinned and rubbed his hands together before grabbing the handles. The merprince pulled, muscles rippling beneath his skin but the blades didn't even budge a centimeter.

Morgan giggled and Caspian held back a small chuckle, even Marcus had a hard time holding back a laugh from Atlantis's puzzled expression.

His brows furrowed, "I don't understand. They seem so light."

"Maybe it's the barnacles?" Marcus suggested, using another knife from the racks to pop them off.

Setting the knife aside, Marcus placed his hands around the handles, the cold kiss of metal caressing his palms.

With a light tug, the blades lifted.

From the corner of his eye he noticed Caspian's jaw slack but before Marcus could say a word, he felt a strange vibration from the handles, followed by a dizzying sensation.