Chapter 9

Caspian murmured to himself as he wandered outside of the Emerald Palace, the bustle noise of the Kingdom's market greeting him. Mers darted about, some holding the hands over their children, others speaking to the venders about their produce.

It looked so familiar to the one back home. At least before his people retreated to their homes, not wanting to encounter their rather moody king.

What does Marcus think of me? he thought while rubbing the back of his neck. Why should he care? He's just a simple human, someone who he would never get close to. Yet, silver eyes made his heart melt, and the thought of lush lips pressing against his made him stir.

"What are you thinking about?"

Caspian's head whirled, his eyes landing on someone he thought he would never see again, "Lilith," he said breathlessly.

Purple irises flashed, black hair floating about in dreadlocks, framing her dark olive skin. Gold tattoos framed her eyes, bringing out the dark lashes that framed her violet orbs. To most men, she was a mermaid who was easy on the eyes and many lusted after her exotic form.

His lips spread into a wide grin and Lilith wrapped her toned arms around him, "How are you old friend? Have you missed me?"

Caspian laughed, "I have! I thought you had forgotten all about me when your parents sent you away. How was your journey?"

Something dark flashed across her features before they brightened again, "Nonsense. My master has shown me much. Perhaps I'll become a witch as famous as Morgan. I've heard much of his magic. Speaking of which, is he here somewhere?"

Her eyes searched about before Capsian responded, "You just missed him. He left a few moments ago."

She pouted prettily, "Darn. I was hoping I could learn a few things from him."

Caspian chuckled and offered his arm for her, "Perhaps next time, love."

Lilith giggled and slipped her arm into his, "Goodness. I can't remember the last time you said that to me. It's been so long, almost a century!"

Caspian smiled to himself. If there was any one that could put him in a good mood, it was Lilith. Friends since they were both children, along with Elric and his younger brother, Merlin. The thought of the younger brother brother a sense of melancholy within him. Merlin was a quiet boy with periwinkle eyes and an unnatural shade of pink hair. He had gone missing long ago, and chances of him being alive remain slim.

"How is Elric? Have they found Merlin yet?" Lilith spoke.

A low growl rose from his throat, "Elric and I are no longer friends. He is banished from my kingdom."

She raised a dark brow, "What did he do. You two have always be close friends."

Betrayal boiled his blood, "He was manipulating me. Using his cursed magic to use me as his pawn in whatever game he's playing."

Soft lips pecked his cheek, "Tone it down love, you're scaring the children."

He blinked, the wide eyes of a merchild staring at him, mouth parted open. In his hands he held a small toy, a cube with strange symbols.

"What are you looking at boy?" he said gruffly.

The young boy grinned, a gap between his two front teeth, "Well I sure dun kno' mista. Jus fer somethin' to happen."

Caspian felt his frown quirk up in amusement before flashing his fangs, "Is that something for you?"

The kid giggled, "You're funny mister," he said before swimming off to join his mother who only pinched his cheek.

"You're good with children," Lilith chuckled, her hand playfully squeezing his bicep, "Why don't you have any little ones?"

Caspian's thoughts shifted towards the young boy who inhabited the island. It was literally biologically impossible for any merchild to be produced from between them.

What the hell are you thinking? Marcus is a human, he chastised himself. He wouldn't be able to live underwater. Unless the Onyx god decides to use Marcus as his host.

"Caspian?" the voice said, shaking him out of his thoughts.

He sighed softly, glancing back at Lilith, "No. Just haven't found the right maiden."

Her eyes flashed, dark lips spreading into a wide grin, "I am your friend, just so you know."

He didn't know what she was implying, for women could be such complicated creatures. Caspian simply smiled and patted her hand, "I know."

She nudged her hip against his black tail, "Come on. Let's distract ourselves from our troubles and gorge ourselves on Emeraldinian dishes."

Just like the times when they were both children, Lilith tugged him towards the bustling market.

****
Marcus wrapped his arms around his legs, a slight chill seeping into his bones. The dark sky stretched far, glittering stars dotting the velvet blanket, reflected by the black sea.

It was a breathtaking view, his eyes never breaking away from the twinkling stars. However a sense of loneliness filled his empty heart. He never thought he would miss his family, his brother that enjoyed to pick on him by cutting the strings of his violin, the subtle jabs that his mother threw his way or even his father's grunts that always greeted him when Marcus entered the room.

He wondered if his family missed him. Where they looking for him? What did they do with his belongings? Tears pricked the corner of his eyes but never falling down his cheeks.

"I'm crazy, aren't I?" he murmured, glancing the violin that laid by his side. The strings had started to fray, signifying his need to replace them. Fingers lovingly caressed the wood, removing a few specks of sand here and there.

"I'm sorry old friend," he murmured, "It looks like our days will come to a close."

With numb fingers his picked up his instrument, the bite wound on his neck throbbing with the movement. His shoulder burned as he let the bow glide across the strings. Soft musical notes filtered into the night sky, carrying on his sorrow into the stars. He could feel the waves crash against the sand, the rustle of the palm leaves all mixing together with the song. He poured his heart into the music and just when it ended, the strings broke.

Song that Marcus was playing. You guys may recognize it :'(

So what do you guys think of Lilith?

Vote & Comment!