Chapter Two: Serefina

A droplet of sweat trickles down my back, directly between my shoulder blades. I feel myself starting to slouch and, remembering my sister's ill-timed advice, immediately sit up straight. The sun is shining brightly, which I usually welcome, but for the first time in my life I'm unnaturally warm. I fear that my skin is revealing the blush that threatens to bloom beneath the surface. My fingers are strumming a steady rhythm on the table, and I have to cover them with my other hand to stifle the action. Every slight adjustment in my seat sounds impossibly loud in my ears and I wince with every movement. I fidget with my outfit, angry at myself for letting Bridgette talk me into wearing such an uncomfortable fabric.

Why is it that I have no problem fighting complete strangers and generally making a fool of myself as the center of attention for no real reason at all, but I can't maintain eye contact with the person sitting across from me?

I jerk my eyes up, searching for the gray ones that are darting every which way, looking at everything but me. I'm relieved that he's as uncomfortable as I am, but I'm not sure whether or not it's a good thing. Bridgette's various tips filter through my mind. Smile. Be yourself, but not your regular self. More like your nicest, happiest self. Give him compliments. Ask him questions, guys love talking about themselves.

His gaze finally lands on mine, and he smiles. "You look nice."

I clear my throat, playing haphazardly with the hem of my dress. "Thanks. Bridgette did my hair."

She spent a long time curling it meticulously until it fell in ringlets down my back.

"She did a good job." There's another awkward pause, and he valiantly tries to fill the quiet. "How is she?"

"Fine," I say. "She's taken over my father's old job, working with the archives in the capital."

"That sounds fun," he offers.

"No, it doesn't," I say. "But at least she's not Terra. Have you heard? She's a teacher now."

"What, is teaching bad?" he asks.

"Here it is. Everyone is freaked over the mandatory school system."

He nods when he remembers one of our phone conversations about it. "All nations have that now," he says. "Even the Air Nomads have some sort of formal education. It's the best way to know you're ready for anything, especially becoming acceptable at bending."

"Yeah well, we put a lot into lineage," I explain. "And many people would rather teach their own kids or hire private tutors than trust a state-appointed instructor."

"They can still teach their kids though, right? Like, additionally?"

"Yeah." I smirk. "What they're really worried about is children of different rankings interacting with each other. It puts everyone on even ground."

"I thought the earthbenders were supposed to be the prideful ones," he says.

"It's not like you ever embodied any airbender qualities," I retort.

"What do you mean?" he jokes. "I'm super peaceful, and completely in touch with my spiritual side."

I just roll my eyes, and we fall into silence again. Thankfully, the server returns with our meals, so at least I have an excuse to be quiet.

"I've been to the Fire Nation a couple times," Drake says. "But never this far inland. It's nice here."

I shrug. "It's alright." I remember with irritation that I was warned never to shrug, because it shows a lack of confidence, and I mentally punch Bridgette in the face.