Chapter 12

My mind is exhausted when I leave the compound later this morning. The time is just barely 5 o' clock, and I am constantly rubbing my eyes to push the sleep away. I catch my eyes closing a few times, and pinch my hand to stay focused. 

I know it is dangerous to be out at this time and not aware. I do everything in my power to be alert, but the restlessness is creeping up on me. I stop in the middle of a group of trees, and stretch out my weary body. After blinking away the pushing on my eyelids, I continue on towards my house. It takes everything in me to move swiftly and quietly. 

Behind me, I hear a rustle of leaves, and stop dead in my tracks. 

I slowly turn around, reaching for my knife as I move. The next second, my knife is out in front of me and my eyes are scanning everything in sight. Now I am awake. 

This rush of adrenaline has pushed me harder, and allows me to focus on every detail I couldn't possibly think of. I can smell a clean scent in the air, that I can't quite put my finger on. It feels out of place, though. I bend my knees slightly, giving me an edge and angle to any people who have followed me.

"Nyx," A voice whispers, and I snap around. First, I notice the golden eyes, then the soft lips pulled into a smirk. "You going to use that on me or something?" He points to the knife. The adrenaline fades out from my body and I sigh.

"Jesus, Lance, you scared the hell out of me." I growl under my breath, and make my way in the direction of my house. 

"You were actually the scary one," He comments, and I mentally let out a groan. I rub my eyes unconsciously again, and a yawn comes out of my mouth. "Tired?" 

"Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out." I mumble. 

"Ouch." He says, and appears next to me. 

"If you don't shut the hell up, you're going to get us both killed." I snap at him. "We can talk when we get back to my house." 

No less than three minutes later, we are in my bedroom, and I am curled up on my bed. My eyes are threatening to close, but I force myself to keep them open. Lance is on the side of the bed, knelt down and watching me intently. 

"I brought you something," Lance whispers, and slips a cold vial into my hand. I tuck it in my pocket, and yawn again. 

"What.." I mumble off.

"Drink it tomorrow, it'll keep you awake." 

My eyes go hazy, and I try to push the closing away. I begin to mumble something inaudible, and Lance smiles. 

I feel him peck my forehead, and shiver as his thumb brushes my cheekbone. I try to make out the words I want to say to him again, but they come out as a soft hiss. I think of it clearly in my mind, and then force it out of my mouth. 

"I love you," I can barely speak it before I feel the darkness tugging at my head. "I don't wanna.." 

"Shh, shh." He kisses my forehead again, and I feel a blanket rest over my body. "Sleep, angel. I love you too." The spots fill my vision, and I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes wrench open to the blaring of my alarm, and I hit it aimlessly until it shuts off. I roll over, still in my clothes from last night, and a soft groan escapes my lips. I want to cry, and fall back asleep. 

A fist clicks on my door, and it opens. Terran walks in, closes the door, and stares at me. 

I am too tired to even look at him, and wonder why he's standing in my room. He doesn't say anything, and instead of asking him what he wants to say, I launch one of my pillows at him, and it hits him square in the head.