Chapter 5

"His name is Eagon." Gemma tells me, as I pick at the threads on an extra hospital bed. She scoots closer to me on the thin mattress, and puts her head near mine. "He won't talk to anyone but me."

The nausea in my stomach is long gone, but is replaced by fear. The new boy - Eagon - is posing a threat to all of us now. I don't want to admit it, but he's attractive. Just as attractive as Lance.

"You were the first person he saw when he woke up, and you healed his wound." She stares at the wall. "It only makes sense why he trusts you."

"I guess." She mumbles. Her sea-green eyes are wide open and alert, despite how exhausted she looks. Little bits of her black hair stick up in places. We sit in silence, and I turn to her after awhile.

"Where is he from?" I ask. She shrugs.

"He said his name, then passed out."

"Seriously?" She nods. "How much blood did he lose?"

"A lot. He's going to need some blood to function." She nudges me. "You're still a bit touchy on that subject, yeah?" She reassures me with a smile.

"Don't remind me." I say, and my lips turn up at the corners.

"Ah ha, I knew I could get those pretty little teeth to show." I bury my face in my hands as I start to laugh, and she joins in.

Someone starts to shout in the room beside us, and Gemma stands up straight.

"He's awake." We both jump off the bed, and I follow after her to the occupied room.

"No!" I hear. "Where is she?" The demanding voice sends chills down my spine. Gemma opens the door, and I gingerly walk to her side.

"Where-" the boy on the white bed perks up once his eyes land on Gemma. She walks to the end of the hospital bed. Kat, Grant, two healers named Danla and Korla, and Kat's second in command, Red, are all crowded around the bed. Kat's jaw is locked, and she looks pissed.

"What's going on?" Gemma asks.

"Pretty boy said he wouldn't talk until you were here." Kat fumes, and turns back to Eagon. "She's here, now talk!"

"I'm not talking with any of you." Eagon says patiently. He talks so persuasive for someone sitting in a hospital bed.

"Fine!" Kat yells, and storms out of the room. She stops in the door way, and looks at Gemma and me with wild eyes. "I hope that bastard kills you both, so I have a valid reason to slit his throat!"

The tension lingers long after everyone has left. I am still standing in the room.

"Do you want me to.." I trail off, looking to Gemma, then to the door.

"Eagon, this is my best-friend Nixon." Gemma tells him, and I give him a small smile. He stares me down, as if trying to pass judgement. I guess he doesn't mind my presence, because he turns back to Gemma after a minute.

"What do you need to know?" He sighs, and tries to prop himself up on the bed. Gemma makes an attempt to help, but she isn't that strong.

"Nyx, could you-" I am already at the other side, gently lifting Eagon's body up with her help. After he is sitting up, we both take chairs on the sides of the bed.

"Okay, just tell us your story." I tell him.

"My story?" He asks, confused.

"Yeah, like how you got here, for one. Or maybe your age. Where you're from, anything. Your family, friends." Gemma lists, and we both look at him in anticipation.