Chapter 4

"What the hell was that?!" I demand once I have Lance cornered. I have no intentions of meeting up with Ren until he explains himself about earlier today.

"What do you mean?" He asks, a smirk playing on his lips. I can tell he is trying to suck up to me like all of his other girls, but it won't work. Not with me.

"Nice try, now stop being an ass, and tell me why you decided to be friendly with me in front of my brother!" I hiss. The smile leaves his face.

"I was just playing around, gosh."

"Yeah, very funny." I spit out, and he rolls his eyes. "You don't even understand that he doesn't know about any of this!"

"He didn't look that young and stupid."

"You're the stupid one," I retort. How dare he insult my brother? "And he's only a child!"

"Really? I thought he was about fifteen."

"Fourteen." I correct. "It doesn't matter how old he is. The point is, you chose to act like an idiot, and it causes him to be even more suspicious of me-"

"He's suspicious of you?" I wish I hadn't said that. Now Lance will think my brother poses a threat to all of us.

"He's a child, like I said, and I've already talked to him." I mumble off.

"What did you tell him?!" He growls.

"I didn't tell him anything!"

"He's going to tell someone, you idiot, and we're all going to be killed."

"It was fine until you showed up and wanted to embarrass me!"

"Embarrass you?"

"Well then tell me why you chose to call me by my first name in front of my brother!" My blood is boiling. Lance is being such an imbecile that I can't even keep my head straight. Instead of responding with a witty comeback, or telling me why he acted foolishly earlier, he smirks.

"You're so cute when you're angry." I get the sudden urge to punch him square in the jaw, but a door to our right opens. Ren is standing there with his glasses crooked on his nose. His black hair is sticking up in random places, and there are light purple bags under his eyes.

"You guys ready to learn?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a device that can transmit DNA, codes, and any other information it picks up. I asked if they had a name, but Ren just shrugged. They work very simple; hook up the wires to anything solid and it will collect a colossal amount of information. He hooked it up to a table, and my brain went haywire.

"Okay, give it a go. I'll be back in a few." Ren hands in the thing to me, and I decide to call it the conveyor. He quickly rushes out of the room. I can't believe that I have spent this much time in a room with Lance without ripping his throat out. I turn to him.

"Can I stick this thing up your-"

"No."

"Wanna bet?" I say, and start to walk over to him.

"Don't you dare, Nixon." He stammers. He backs up into the wall, and glares me down.

"Then stop being a prick."

"You have a big potty mouth for being such a little girl." He points out.

"You bastard, I can say whatever I want to say! And I don't need you telling me I can't!"

"What are you, like fifteen?"

"Seventeen!" I snap. "You know I'm seventeen you little shit!"

"Other fifteen year-olds don't speak to adults like me like that." He says, and smirks.