Chapter 10

My mind is still buzzing from all of the physical activity Ren has put me through. Even though I am not tired, my body is weary.

"How can you lift that much?" Lance asks, with hints of jealousy sneaking in his tone.

"What, that? Nothing new." I tease. Ren had me lifting dozens of sandbags in one of the storage rooms. His eyes roll, and I giggle. "I guess I'm just special." He ruffles my hair, and I pull away. I smooth it back, and he smirks.

Ren appears to be occupied by his computer and papers, so I make my way to the door. He instantly stands up as he sees me leave, and I stop. He is still clicking away, but up from his chair.

Then, he turns to me. "We're not done tonight." He sets his papers on the desk and comes towards the door.

"What else do we need to do?" I ask, slightly impatient. I'm tired of being Ren's test subject.

"We have to test your.. Um.. Wings." He says, and clenches his jaw.

"How?" There is no place in the compound for me to have enough space to.. Fly..

"I'm going to talk to Kat right now. I'll be back." He slips out the door, and Lance and I are left alone. My brows furrow for a moment, but I shrug it off. I close the door, and turn to Lance.

"Finally everyone's gone." He says, the same thoughts in my head. His arm sneaks around my waist, and I smile. I snuggle into his chest, and he runs his fingers through my hair. "Do you think he noticed?"

"Ren noticed what?" I inquire.

"Me looking at you the whole time." I laugh into his chest. My laughs stop, and my arms wrap around his waist. He pulls me closer, and I inhale his sweet smell. Traces of mint run through the fabric of his shirt, with a fresh scent of honey surrounding him. Breathing deeply, the smells enhance my senses and spread a tingling feeling through my body.

"I wish this could be over with." I finally say, after a few precious moments.

"What?" He asks, his mouth playfully turning down at one side. "Our only alone time? Surely you can't think that."

"No, no." I say, a giggle rising in my throat. "I mean the testing and stuff."

"Oh." A smile spreads onto Lance's face, and I mirror him. His thumb brushes against my jawline, and stops at my cheeks. "You're cute."

"That's nice to know." I say, while letting out a few giggles. He pecks my cheek abruptly, and presses his cheek to mine.

Footsteps are loud outside the door, and Lance's arms gently unfold from mine. The door swings open, and Kat walks in, Ren behind her.

"Come on, let's go." Kat says, and ushers us out the door.

"Where are we going?" I ask, and follow her. She walks down a few hallways, and takes a number of turns, until there is a single door at the end. The door is made of heavy steel, but there is no knob, or handle.

Kat enters in a long code to the keypad next to the door, and after hearing the taps 30 times, the door cracks open.

There is darkness beyond the door, but the faint light of the hallway allows me to see that ahead are stairs. Where are we going?

Kat fumbles for something against the wall, and then picks up a black object. It clicks, and a circle of light appears on the ground; a flashlight.

She guides us with the flashlight down the stairs, which seem to go straight down for endless minutes. The door closes behind us, and I shiver. It is cold and damp, and it feels like we are walking in a cellar.