12 | Explanation

ROCHELLE

Freedom.

I tilted my head back a little as I felt the breeze pass us. It felt so liberating, no more ties.

We were on the way to his house to clean myself up. I thought back to this morning and closed my eyes tightly.

I can't believe Derrick hit me. It was a shock to wake up being thrown on the floor. His eyes were angry as I barely escaped to go to school. Then again, I crashed a picture frame to his head. I push the memories back. I don't need to think about it.

I looked at Cole and smiled.

I had never been so happy in my life. He did it. He really did it.

I knew I had a lot of explaining to do. I just hoped Cole didn't leave me after I told him everything. Fear begins to creep over me.

What if he doesn't believe me?

What if he'll leave?

What if he'll be mad at me?

I couldn't handle that.

As my breathing started becoming frantic, a warm hand landed on my middle thigh, rubbing his thumb in a soothing gesture. Tingles spread throughout my body.

Cole.

I felt myself calm down, taking deep breaths. He can already read my emotions. What if he reads my mind? I flushed behind his back. I certainly hope not.

We made it to his driveway and he helps me down. We walk into his house and Cole immediately drags me to the bathroom. He gently lifted me to sit on the counter and moved to open his medicine cabinet. He takes out a first aid kit and started cleaning my cut.

He put some liquid on it and I hissed as it made contact with my skin. I felt Cole tense and clenched his jaw.

"Did he do this to you?" he hissed. I knew he already knew the answer. He just wanted confirmation.

I looked down ashamed. I hated feeling weak. I nodded my head silently. I wanted to be honest with him.

I jumped when he slammed his fist against the wall. He was seething. I felt the rage inside him pouring out in waves. The need to find Derrick and beat him to death.

I quickly got off the counter to Cole and hugged him. I can't stand to see him this upset over me. Cole wraps his arms around me and brings me closer to him. I don't complain as it became a little more difficult to breathe. For the first time in a long time, I felt safe. Protected. I knew no one will harm me because I have Cole.

"Please calm down. I'm here with you. I'm safe." I whisper.

Slowly, he begins to calm down. He leans down to rest his forehead against mine and closes his eyes.

We stayed like that for a while. Just holding each other. After a while, Cole pulled away, taking the warmth with him. I frowned at that.

"Rochelle, can you please explain what is happening to me? I think I'm losing my mind. I'm so confused and I don't understand. I know Derrick did this to you. How is this possible? Why do I feel the need to be with you? Why have I been having dreams about you five weeks before I met you? Why-?" I cut off his rant.

"Wait, you've had dreams about me before we met?" I asked, shocked. I've never heard of a situation like this before. It's usually after we meet for the first time. There's no way he could've known about me before then.