New Kid

The Freeman clan was at home watching TV when a U-Haul pulled into the lot across the street.

"Someone's movin in," Riley said.

"Well no shit," Jada, his younger sister, comments rolling her eyes, "The giant truck that says U-Haul doesn't give it away."

Riley rolled his eyes.

"Who's moving in?" Huey asked.

"A family."

"White or black?"

"Both."

"Both?" Jada and Huey said in unison.

"Yea. The mom white but the dad black," Riley informs them looking through the blinds. "Oh shit!" Riley ducks down.

"What?"

"She comin over here."

After a couple seconds the door bell rang. Jada got up and answered the door. Standing on the other side was a light skinned girl with emerald eyes and strawberry blonde frizzy hair that was in a pony tail.

"Hi!" The girl chirps. "I'm Jazmine Dubois. I just moved in across the street."

"Jada Freeman. Why'd you come here?" Jada questions.

"Daddy wants me to get to know the neighbors. Make new friends I guess."

"We don't want to be yo friend!" Riley yells from the living room.

"Sorry, that's my older brother, Riley. He can be a douche sometimes."

Jazmine only blinked.

"Would you like to come in?" Jada offered.

"Sure."

Jazmine stepped into the mini mansion and looked around.

"Jada! What I tell you about opening my door and letting out my-" Robert Freeman stopped his bickering at the sight of Jazmine. "Whose your friend?"

"Granddaddy, this is Jazmine Dubois. Jazmine, this is my granddaddy Robert."

"Nice to meet you cutie pie," Robert stuck out his hand which Jazmine gladly shook. "Boys! Come say hi to Miss Jazmine. I'm goin across the street to meet her folks."

Huey and Riley groaned as they got up to see Jazmine.

"Hello," Jazmine greets.

"Jazmine, this is Huey and Riley. They're my older brothers."

"Why you tell her my government name?" Riley questioned. "This Mariah Carey lookin' ass hoe don't need to know shit!"

"Riley, shut the hell up and go away!" Huey growls. Riley rolls his eyes mumbling things as he leaves. "So you're black?"

"What makes you think I'm black?" Jazmine asks nervously.

"You have an afro."

"So?"

"I don't see most whites with Afros."

"Well I'm white. Just with some black features."

"Whatever you say Mariah," Huey huffs going into the living room.

"You'll get used to them," Jada says with a sigh. "I certainly did."

Jada was also Jazmine's height with maroon eyes and dark brown dreads that went to her shoulders. She was 14, a year younger than Riley, and carried both her brothers qualities. She had Huey's smarts, talent, and interests. Jada had Riley's laugh, smart mouth (normally when she was mad), and smile. But the thing all three Freemans shared in common was their scowl. They'd look exactly the same when they all did their signature scowl.

As Jazmine leaves, Jada turns to her brothers.

"What the hell?!"

"What?"

"She's new and you're just gonna treat her like straight trash? Both of ya'll need to get it together cause Jazmine's gonna be around for a while and if one of you make her cry, you're answering to me."

"And what you gon do?" Riley smirks. Jada growled and kicked Riley off the couch.

"Don't play with me, Riley. I'm serious. We've been in Woodcrest for a week and I can finally make a friend."

Riley rolled his eyes for the third time that evening and got up.

Edited 9/1/17