t w e l v e ✺ radio free reasie

Beep!
Beep!
Beep!

I turn and slam on the snooze button Monday morning.

Today was my first day as an intern at 620 WDAE, also known as Rays Radio.

They reported the Rays, Bucs, and Lightning, but they needed more people on the baseball section. Tampa residents, apparently, enjoy football and hockey more than baseball. And isn't baseball America's pastime? If so, why didn't the Tampa-St. Petersburg area embrace their inner baseball?

So after countless nights of research, and actually attending one (or a few) of my brother's baseball games, I found a way to jazz it up. And I hoped to bring that to the table at Rays Radio.

The studios were located somewhere in downtown Tampa, so I had taken off an hour earlier in search of it. And I found it...forty minutes later.

I started to feel nervous. I took a deep breath and took out my breakfast Crunchwrap. Since I had about twenty minutes to spare, I went all in on my food.

People usually looked at me weird when I said I got my breakfast at Taco Bell, but let's be serious: their breakfast is really good.

Twelve minutes later, I finished my Crunchwrap. I put my trash in the bag, and took a sip of my Coke.

I sigh, and pop a stick of mint gum in my mouth.

Time to make the first impression.

I get out if the car, and adjust my black slacks. I hated dressing formally, but if I'm starting somewhere, might as well dress nice, right?

Wrong, I learn when I get out of the elevator.

As I go to the assigned room, the three people I was going to be working with were wearing about the same thing I wore this morning.

"Rease Shaffer?" A man stood up. "Hi there, I'm Andre. The guy you talked to the other day on the phone."

"Andre, hi." I shake his hand.

"So, these are your colleagues. They are about the same age as you, and will be learning the same things as you."

A guy with dark hair and dark eyes stood up. "Kiefer Tamberelli."

"Rease Shaffer." I shook his hand.

"Shaffer?" Kiefer's eyes lit up. "Like, Richie Shaffer Shaffer? That is so cool."

A girl with auburn hair and green eyes stood up.

"Riley Poole. Not to be confused with the National Treasure dude."

"Rease Shaffer. Not to be confused with the peanut butter cup." I laugh.

Andre smiled. "While you get to know each other, I'm going to go grab some grub. I'll be back." And with that, he was gone.

"A newbie, eh?" Kiefer laughed. "Okay, not really. We're kinda newbies too."

"I've worked here for 6 months, and Kief here's worked for 3." Riley nodded. "He's 20, I'm 21."

"I just turned 21." I nod. "I guess I like it."

Kiefer groaned. "I can't wait to turn 21. My dad said he wanted to take me to Margaritaville." He busted out in laughter.

"There's a Margaritaville in Tampa?" Riley asked.

"No, Orlando." Kiefer laughed. "And Miami."