Halloween Night

JacobPOV:

Aside from the racial criticism, the negative judgment of your skin, I admit, there were good times in life.

I mean, of course, black people were going through a struggle, whether it be the white man has struck down a man of our social group, or not being able to provide to have what we consider the 'white good life...' , but I had some excellent times in my life.

I remember the time Mom first introduced me to her cooking of gumbo, something she learned down in Louisiana...

Everyone in the neighborhood came together, and I suppose you can say we had our own feast.

But then...there's one thing that will never leave my mind. No matter how far I try to push it away.

This was still my Pre-K year...specifically, the night of Halloween...

My first, and very last time trick-or-treating.

(5pm, Sunday, October 31st, 1965)

Mom let me go over to Rayan's house, and we were suppose to go trick or treating. Something I was very unfamiliar with.

As we sat in Rayan's room, I was a half skeleton, half zombie, and Rayan was a pirate.

"Ray?"

"Mhm?"

"What's trick or treating?"

Ray looked up at me and gasped.

"How you gon' go trick or treating--but don't know what it is?!"

I only shrugged and put my bag on his bed.

"I'm not sure. I was just told I get candy."

"Well yeah, but there's way more to it..."

"Like?"

He tapped his finger on his chin and nodded.

"Hold on..."

He climbed off his bed and opened his closet door. He moved a few things around then pulled out some stacks of...newspapers?

"How is that--"

"Ssh. You got to be quiet...Mommy and Daddy can't know I have these."

He lifted the papers on his bed and I looked at them as he got on his bed.

"Why you not suppose to have them?"

"I really don't know. They're funny to me..."

He gave me one of the papers and across it read Peanuts.

There was a girl holding her arms out extended and talking and a boy who I suppose, goes by the name Linus, standing there listening to her.

"What's this about?"

"Talking to her about Trick or Treating. All we do is dress up in funny or scary costumes and ring on people's doorbells and get candy."

I tilted my head to the side, still not understanding the concept of Halloween, but I only nodded.

Besides...who would turn down candy?

And with that, we read the Peanuts comics, and I have to admit, those little kids were funny. We read until we heard Ray's Mom call from downstairs,

"Ray! Jacob! Come on!"

We placed the papers back in a bundled mess and hid them under some items in Rayan's closet. He shut the closet door and I grabbed his trick-or-treating bag as well as mine; and we made our way down the stairs.