Songs and Shadows

Börja om från början

For some stupid reason, that made Reyna think about Nico. She felt like listening to a love song with no one to relate it to wouldn't be so bad with him around. Well, he'd never leave her alone, for an instance. She'd have someone to talk to. But Nico going to a sing-along would be too good to be true. It wouldn't happen in a gazillion years. . . But what if?

Pluto's pauldrons, what was that all about? She hastily pushed the embarrassing thought away.

Over the distance, the unknown figure finally pushed Megan, and the son of Aphrodite fell pretty hard. He almost rolled back, showing his underwear.

Thank gods for the darkness, Reyna thought.

The tall figure then turned and started to sprint towards Reyna, which freaked her out a bit. She almost transferred to another seat, but when the firelight shone on the guy's face, she found herself unable to move.

". . .Can we just turn this into reality?"

"Hey." Nico di Angelo smiled breathlessly as he skidded to a stop and sat beside her. Very closely beside her. "I hope I'm not too late?"

Reyna was surprised that the fire didn't turn red and shoot twenty feet into the air, because that's exactly what she felt like doing. Going red and shooting high into the air.

Nico was all cleaned up but still fully dressed. And he was sitting so close to her, she could feel his warmth and smell a mix of vanilla candles and fresh mint coming from him.

Reyna's cheeks started to ache, and that's when she realized that she was smiling too widely. Her face just might rip in two.

But the thing was, she just couldn't believe Nico came.

"I guess not," she said. The scent coming from him was pleasant and quite addicting. "But I remember you said you'll pass?"

"I did." He shrugged and glanced at Megan, who got to his feet, glaring at him. The sight seemed to please Nico. "But I changed my mind."

Reyna smirked. "And here I was thinking you're not the singing type."

"I'm still not the singing type, I'm afraid," Nico said. He was still smiling at her, his eyes a little glazed. Then his voice dropped to a whisper. "But it's different with you here."

"Maybe you can save me from this crazy world we live in. . ."

Nico flinched, his eyes wide with panic. He looked absolutely startled with what he just said. He averted his gaze and went still.

The fire crackled and turned bright scarlet, sending sparks spiraling into the night sky. But Reyna was vaguely aware of it. Her ears were buzzing. She was staring at Nico, whose head was turned sideways to avoid looking at her. He was in danger of an extreme stiff neck, but he didn't seem to care. She was tempted to shake him, but even without looking at his face, she could tell he was embarrassed.

She knew for a fact that the son of Hades was not a touchy-feely kind of person. What he said probably just slipped out. It even sounded like it came from his nose for all the volume it had. So to avoid embarrassing him further, she just decided to play dumb. "What?"

Nico turned to her, still startled but obviously relieved. "Nothing. It's just that. . ." A pained expression flickered in his features. He seemed to be having some sort of an internal struggle. "Nothing. Never mind."

"And I know we could happen
'Cause you know that I've been feeling you. . ."

For Reyna, it was definitely not nothing. Considering how awkward Nico was with words, feelings and pretty much everything social, that counted for something. That was good progress.