"Oh that's why you look unfamiliar," the boy said. "It's the annual Village Festival. We celebrate like prosperity and the harvest and what not. There's like food and vendors and everything! Everything's better at night, because that's when all the entertainment comes on." His head bobbed enthusiastically.

"The harvest?" Ashley questioned. "But it's barely June."

"Yeah I know, but that's just how this is. I don't really know what it's supposed to celebrate, actually," the boy shrugged. "All I know is that mum lets us run around and have fun. See you around!" He took off again. I looked at Ashley and Jason, an eyebrow raised.

"So it is a festival," Jason said. "Though of what exactly, we don't know."

"Maybe we should ask an adult," Ashley suggested. She walked over to a woman selling pies and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Hello ma'am, we're travelers here and we were wondering if this is some kind of festival?" Ashley asked politely. The woman looked up from her work. She had a kind, motherly face and was wearing a light blue dress and bonnet that pioneer ladies would've worn. She looked us up and down, and smiled.

"Oh, welcome to Goldhedge, my dears! I'm Mary. And yes you're right, it is a festival." Another customer approached and asked for a pie. Mary kept talking while she helped that customer.

"It's an annual thing, where we celebrate like a good harvest and whatnot, even if it is a tad early," Mary laughed as her expert hands wrapped the pie up nicely and handed it to the customer. "Thank you!" she called out to the person. Mary turned to face us again. "So travelers, eh? Where do you come from?"

"Northbell," I said quickly. "So tell us more about this festival, please. It seems like a load of fun."

"Oh, well, it is a load of fun, but it used to be better." A strange look came over her face. "There's usually lots of entertainment and stuff at night, with magicians, musicians, performers, everything. One tradition we have here is a martial arts tournament, and it's really cool to see the skilled fighters of our land." Mary eyed the swords we carried and her gaze landed on the double swords on my back. "Whoever wins the tournament is crowned best fighter and is awarded the brooch of Goldhedge, a highly prized piece of jewelry. People come from all over the land to compete in this tournament; that's why there are so many people."

"What's so special about the brooch?" Jason asked curiously.

"Do you children know the tale of Augustus and Helena?" Mary asked us. We nodded vigorously.

"They were the two fabled legendary fighters of Crystallea," I said eagerly. "Both were deemed undefeatable in skill until they met each other. They decided to challenge each other, and the battle went on for days. Finally, they decided to call it a tie. Augustus had fallen for Helena, and she had grown to love him. He asked her to marry him, and she agreed. To seal the deal, he gave Helena his prized cloak and she gave him her brooch, passed down for generations. Wait, is it the same brooch?"

"No of course not," Mary smiled. "Just replications of it, but made out of the same materials and skill. Only one is made per year, which makes it all the more special. Helena's hometown was Goldhedge, and that's the origin of the brooch."

"Oh...." We all said in unison.

"I'm guessing the brooch symbolized invincibility and the great skill of the fighter," I said. "That's why so many people desire it."

"Yes," Mary said. Her face took on a slightly angry look. "But for the past three years, the same person has claimed the brooch of Goldhedge. He is arrogant and boastful, saying that he is the ultimate champion and that no one can defeat him. He's even daring to say that he's better than Augustus and Helena both. And everyone knows that Augustus and Helena are the best! No one can beat them, ever, whether in the past or in the future."

"Who is he?" Jason asked. Mary shrugged.

"He claims that he came from the distant land of Shadowville or something, and his name is Eric. You have to admit, he is good. But no one can win the brooch for three years in a row! Many people think he's cheating in some way, but there's no proof. It's ruining our reputation. And whenever he wins, he shames the fighters who lose. This guy has no sportsmanship whatsoever!" Mary ranted.

"And the way he fights is sly and evil. Usually in the arena, fighters are still courteous to each other and play fair. It's a contest of skill, and good fighters know when someone is better than them. And the contestants don't intentionally harm each other or stab each other; there's usually minimal injury, and everyone's happy. But since Eric appeared, everything's changed. He will purposely stab you, or inflict major injuries. People have lost their fingers or broken a bone. And that's the lucky ones. Many fighters have had to be carried off stage, or requiring immediate medical attention. I think he's killed like two people already."

"That's not right!" Jason exclaimed. "Why don't you guys do something about it?"

"We can't," Mary said sadly. "There's nothing in the rules that said consequences for winning more than once, or about the way they fight. But it does say that everyone attends at their own risk, and no legal consequences will occur if someone gets hurt or killed."

"So Eric is just running wild," Ashley said, anger flaring up in her eyes.

"Every year we wish for someone to come and beat him," Mary said. "Everyone does. It doesn't matter who the person is. As long as they can beat up Eric and shame him for good everyone's happy. Heck, they can kill Eric and we wouldn't even care!"

More customers arrived at the stall. Mary turned to leave. "Well my dears, have fun! Maybe one of you can be the one who defeats Eric."

We thanked her for the information and continued walking, looking for a place to spend the night. A tavern called the Brooch of Goldhedge caught my eye, and we walked in. There, we booked the last two rooms available. "There's just so many people," the bartender commented. "You guys are lucky to have found a place to stay."

After setting our bags down the three of us headed out for the village square. We met up with Indigo and the others, and we told them what we have heard. They seemed appalled at Eric's behavior too.

"That's just wrong!" spluttered Lucian angrily.

"I hope he gets killed," Aaron said darkly.

"Woah woah woah calm down guys," Rachel said. "We'll see for ourselves tonight, won't we?"

"I guess we will." I agreed, adjusting the straps on the sword scabbards.

As we walked around the village, taking in all of the decorations and vendors, my thoughts remained on Eric and the brooch of Goldhedge. How good was this guy? How ruthless? As a fighter, I couldn't resist watching a tournament or seeing how good another fighter was. Mary's last words echoed in my head: "Maybe one of you can be the one who defeats Eric."

What a tempting offer. But if Eric is as bad as they all say, it would be very dangerous for a fifteen-year-old girl like me to fight in a tournament against him, even if I was the warrior and one of the chosen seven...

A/N: Hope you are all enjoying the story so far! If you do, feel free to press that vote button or leave a comment or two. Any feedback is greatly welcomed! Thanks for reading :)