Something Not Human

"Jeremy" I heard a stern voice. My eyes snapped open immediately. The others were asleep except for Brad. I groaned and rubbed my eyes. It didn't feel like I'd been asleep for more more than a few minutes.  My eyes started to close.

"Dude, do you hear that" he asked, and slapped my face lightly. I blinked rapidly, my senses becoming sharper. There was a scuffling sound, like something, or someone sniffing around. It was coming from the left, and from above. I stood up, and carefully peered out of of the dirt cave. The entrance was s so I had to duck. Cautiously I looked to the left only to find a small coyote picking at the pig bones we'd casted aside. I let out a sigh of relief. I pulled my head back just as a hand with long claws lashed out into the air. Loud growling from multiple beasts outside startled Brad and I, and I woke the others.

"What the hell?" Brad said in shock. Two large wolves began to cram themselves into the entrance. It was a small fit through the entrance making it hard to get through. We backed away when the nearest one darted forward. It wasn't completely inside, but far enough to bite. It's teeth took hold on Tyler's shoe, and he cried out. Like a whip both Brad's shadow shot up from the ground like a tentacle. The plant that had been on Tyler's shoulder hissed. Both the shadow and plant snapped at the wolf. It let go, snarling as it until a sharp whip made I water lashed out. It darted backwards. Edgar held his hands out, an icy blue ring forming in the air. A small ring in front I the circle formed.

"Waterfall blast" he said, his blue eyes narrowed as he concentrated magic energy through the rings. A blast if water shot from the inner ring. Both wolves were forced to retreat. Edgar sighed and dropped his hands. The rings in the air faded away.

"Be ready, they could be waiting for us" Dave warned.

"We know" Brad snapped irritable. Hunter, Tyler, and Erza shot him waning looks. Cody, Gray, and I had claws unleashed. The rest of the group held swords except for Erza and Dave.

"Watcha have there now Dale, that sword?" I asked.

"A Zweihand, typical two hand sword. Pretty capable of cutting down a few heads" he gloated.

"Enough talk Dale, you've never beheaded someone" Dave stated.

"Can we please go" Erza scolded the three of us.

Dale struck the ground with his sword, and the earth beneath u shot upward. The earth above crumbled, spraying upwards as we came to the top. At that instant one of the wolves lunged. It startled us. I jumped out in front of Dave and Edgar. I dodged the claws, and grabbed it by its long, lanky arms only to realize something. These weren't wolves, but they weren’t quite humans either. They stood on two legs, hunched over slightly with long, bony, lanky arms bent upwards, and claws long and twisted that curled down from their fingertips.. There faces seemed like that of a humans, but with wolffish features; a short narrow muzzle, a dark narrow flat nose, yellow wide eyes, and pointy ears. Some of them had long grey fur, and others had short, patchy fur covering their skin.

For a second I felt pity for what had been a human, now turned to a monster when one of them attacked, and I forgot my pity for the need to protect myself. I kicked the half-humanoid wolf beast away. It landed on all fours, snarling in bitter inhuman rage. I felt bad for it, the human that had died on the inside long ago.

Behind me Tyler and Hunter were back to back, fending off a couple of wolf people. Cody and Gray took on similar formation, as did Dave, Dale, and Edgar. It left Brad, Erza, and I to watch each others backs. There were ten of us, and at least fifteen or more of them. One beast lunged for Brad's back, but in mid air it was shot down by a jagged bolt of lightning. Erza darted forward to strike it with her dagger when another darted at her. Brad swung his sword slashing a long wound across its shoulder. It howled in pain, and turned on him. It tackled him to the  ground with his stomach to the dirt. The thing bit down into his shoulder.  The sound of fabric tearing, and metal armor could be heard combined with Brad yelling. He was pinned down by the large beast. It was heavy and strong. I moved to help when another came at us. I slammed my foot into its head, unable to help Brad at the moment. Dave tuned,