Camp Estras

The group started heading through town. Tyler, Hunter, and Brad began to run down the streets towards the nearest cafe for food. Erza was about to run off after then when I remembered the dagger I’d bought.

“Erza wait up!” I called to her. She stopped, spinning around on one heel.

“Eh-” I stopped where I stood. I withdrew the dagger from my belt.

“Here, I um- I got this back in Anor. Daggers and swords really aren’t my thing erm- uh s-so I thought you’d like it” I offered. ‘Why are you stuttering, get a grip you idiot’ I mentally scolded myself. She took the dagger from my hand, and smiled. She slashed the air a few times with it, examining the curve of the blade.

“Ha, feels like my old one” she said with a grin.

“Probably better than that rusty old thing too” she added. She looked at the blade, and traced it with a finger. There was a sort of grim look to her smile.

“Nah, it’s just something I-” I started to ramble on when Erza suddenly moved towards me. My arms hung limp at my sides as she hugged me. I was about to put my arms around her when she pulled away. Her brown eyes were wide, and cheeks were bright red.

“Er- I’m sorry!” she immediately said. I felt my face heat up,

“Eh- no it’s okay” I replied with a nervous chuckle. We started walking down the road towards the base camp. Somewhere up ahead I could hear the heavy pounding of feet, and yelling. Brad and Hunter were racing again.

“No one’s ever bought me anything” she admitted softly as we continued walking back. Up ahead I noticed their was a banner hanging at the entrance to base camp.

“Evaluations, great I just love tests” I said sarcastically. Erza laughed at this,

“Scared I’ll kick your butt in a fight?” Erza taunted.

“What? No” I replied. ‘No, I just don’t want to look like the unfocused, immature boy Dale already thinks I am’ I thought sadly. My hand brushed against Erza’s as we walked, and Erza moved away. She cleared her throat.

“Everyone should be waiting for us in the mess hall” Erza said. The fake tone of voice was back again reminding me that here at camp she wouldn’t be known as a girl, but as a guy as long as we played our act right.

“Right” I replied. Sure enough Erza was right. I grabbed a plate of todays dinner, a plate of beef chunks smothered in brown gravy. I took a seat at one of the tables.

“Hey look, Beta cabins back” said a voice. I looked around to see the boy known as Luke.

“That’s our table squirt” Derrick stated. I frowned,

“Oh, says who?” I demanded to know.

“Says Alpha cabin” Tobby stated, “We may be on the same team, but there are ranks and orders here” he added.

“Please, alpha cabin my ass” sneered a familiar voice. Brad was coming in with Tyler and Hunter. Brad walked in confidently, his sword strapped to his back. They took a seat at our table.

“It’s a f*cking table!” Brad snapped at them. He didn’t even look at them, but Derrick’s confident stance wavered. Brad took a sip of a glass of grape smelling wine.

“It’s also the closest to the exit, and the line for the cafeteria” Derrick argued. The argument now was beginning to draw attention from Omega cabin. Our cabin now, Beta cabin, was watching Brad intently. Brad took a long swig from his glass.

“Are you going to say something, or are you going to get up?” Derrick asked. Brad gulped heavily, drinking the last of the wine. He slammed the glass down, a large crack splitting up from the bottom. He suddenly looked at Derrick.