On The Roof

O N   T H E   R O O F
Modern AU || Queen Elsa's Point of View

❅❅❅❅❅

The sun has finally set on the horizon, the dark sky filled with nothing but stars and a moon that illuminated the lamp posts and trees that stood tall in the streets. It was beautiful, honestly. A really good view. Better, if I could see it from the roof outside the window of my room.

But tonight, I couldn't.

Because there he was, in nothing but a pair of brown cargo shorts and a blue hoodie, sitting on the roof, legs hanging on the ledge, taking in the beautiful sky above him.

It was no other than Jack Frost, the boy who lived next door.

With a sigh, I decided to let it go. The sky would be beautiful tomorrow too, anyway, I simply thought as I went to my study, turning my laptop on so I could work on that research paper for Physics class.

As I sat on the seat, ready to get my focus working, I heard a gentle knock on the window. Curiously, I turned my head to see Jack smiling at me and waving his hand.

Huh, he's never talked to me out of school, I thought, before dropping everything I've been doing to talk to the white haired boy.

"What is it?" I asked as soon as I opened my window wide enough for him.

"Come out?" he replied with another question. I stared at him, bewildered, which probably made him add, "You always come out, anyway."

"How do you even know that?" I said to him, suddenly even more confused and shocked.

"Well, I have a window," he answered, as if I was asking him what one plus one was.

When I didn't reply to him, he simply sighed, "Look, you don't have to. I was just asking."

With that, he stepped away from my window and resumed to sitting on his roof, seeming to have a small frown on his face.

I simply stood there, dumbfounded at what had just happened between the two of us.

For starters, Jack Frost was a mere mystery to me. Yes, he was my neighbor. And yes, his room was direcly across mine, with two almost-connecting roofs side by side. But we never talked. Never hung out once. Never seemed to acknowledge the presence of the other (unless we were paired on some stupid project). But now he was asking me to sit with him on the roof?

Also how did he even know I sat there, on the roof, almost every night? Did he constantly look out his window? Why would he even do that?

I decided it was best if I just asked him the questions that bothered me instead of standing there like an idiot. So I slipped out of my window, taking a seat on my own roof, accepting the offer he had made me earlier.

Once he heard the roof creak slowly, he turned toward me, looking slightly shocked but immediately covering it up with a small smirk as he spoke, "So you decided to come."

"I only bothered to come anyways because I'm really really confused. Why'd you invite me out anyway?" I said, deciding to tackle the questions one by one.

"Why can't I?" Jack said smugly, which made me look at him with an irritated expression. He chuckled in reply, before finally answering my question, "I just wanted some company, okay? Besides, it's been long overdue."

"What's been long overdue?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, confused more than ever.

"You and me hanging out on the roof. That's what's overdue," he said, his smile growing wider.

"And why's that?"

"Well, for starters we are neighbors," he said with a sigh, probably trying to tell me to quit bothering.

"Oh okay," I simply said, still pretty confused but choosing to listen to the stupid boy with the white hair, staring at my feet dangling off the roof.

It was quiet for a while, just the two of us lingering there, some sort of awkward tension in the atmosphere, until Jack decided to speak up, "So.. how was your day?"

I gave him a look that said 'are you serious' in which he replied with another look that said 'just play along please'.

And so I did exactly just that, "Well, pretty boring. Nothing more than lectures, note taking and homework."

"That's it? That's what you do everyday?" he asked, in which I replied with an eye roll.

"My life is a repeated routine, okay?" I said to him in reply, before lifting my legs off the ledge, hugging them to my chest, resting my chin on my knees, "Not as interesting as you probably think it is."

"Well that's good to hear," he answered sarcastically, before adding, "I definitely made the right choice to invite you out here tonight."

"And why's that?" I asked him, turning my head slightly to meet his gaze.

"So that you'd have something to look forward to every night," he said with a mischievous smirk on his face.

It had affected me gravely, that sentence. It was like saying that he wanted to meet me out here every night. Like saying he wanted to be my friend. To get to know me. To talk to me.

I had probably been sitting there, silent, for quite a while because Jack suddenly waved his hand in front of my face, "Hey Elsa, are you daydreaming or something?"

"Huh? Oh.. uh, just thinking," I said to him with a small smile, before I stopped hugging my legs, letting them swing back and forth off the ledge.

"Well it's nice to know that your brain actually works."

With that I smacked him playfully on the shoulder, genuinely laughing at what he had said, "I hate you."

"Nice to know," he said in reply, smiling wide enough for crinkles to form next to his eyes.

And with that, the two of us became friends, sneaking out of our rooms and meeting up at the two almost-conjoining roofs every night for who-knows-how-long.

❅❅❅❅❅

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

This story is based off the picture I place before the story began. It was a sweet and innocent prompt so I just had to write about it.

Once again, I wanted this to be as lighthearted as possible so there you go. It's not as deep as the few I've written before but it kinda gives off the same vibe as Midnight Messages. I was pretty meh about this one too but maybe you'll like it..

But anyways, school starts for me tomorrow so idk if I'll be able to update again soon. Also, I may or may not go inactive sooner or later so yeah.

I want to write more, honestly. These writer vibes keep flowing out of me. But please don't wait or anything. If I do update hooray for you but I am not sure about that which is why it's better if you don't hope.

You all know I love you and appreciate you for everything you do for me. So I guess I won't keep repeating that for you.

Please do comment though. And maybe vote. I love replying to you all the time. Your words brighten up my days.

V O T E | F A N | C O M M E N T | S H A R E