5. One for the Road

Start from the beginning

Being a stereotypical pothead, Lauren would often spend her days lying around on Normani's couch and floor eating up all of her snacks. The aspiring dental student wondered how the singer managed to pass her classes. But, it was quite obvious that Lauren was very intelligent despite her bad short-term memory from all the cannabis smoking.

"Lo, did your roommate kick you out?" asked Normani on one of the many days Lauren was lounging around her place.

"No. Why?"

"You're over here all the time like you don't have a home," Normani responded.

"Sheesh. I didn't know I was unwanted," said Lauren.

"I wouldn't mind having you over if you didn't eat up all my food without replacing it," Normani complained.

Lauren responded by taking a wad of cash out of her backpack and throwing it at Normani. The money fell on the floor at Normani's feet as she gawked at it.

"Where did you get all this money from?" inquired Normani.

"Playing shows," Lauren replied. "Do whatever you want with it."

Normani picked up the cash and tossed it around in her hands as she sat down on the couch next to Lauren. "This is a lot."

"I know," agreed Lauren. "You can feed me for months."

Normani frowned and smiled at the same time and bopped Lauren on the head with a throw pillow. Lauren then jumped on top of Normani grabbing a throw pillow in each hand and alternated between the two walloping her friend over the head. Normani couldn't stop herself from giggling as she held up her hands in an attempt to defend herself from the attack.

"You win! I surrender! Let me up," Normani pleaded.

Lauren had mercy on her friend and got off of her. Little hairs were starting to stick to the singer's forehead due to the perspiration. She pushed her hairs out of her face as she caught her breath from all the play. Normani sat up and stared on. All she could think about is how much she enjoyed Lauren's company and how she could quickly go from being sexy/cool to cute and cuddly.

"What's up?" asked Lauren after noticing Normani staring at her.

Normani climbed over to Lauren's side of the couch and planted a kiss on Lauren's lips. As Normani pulled back, Lauren raised her eyebrows surprised by what just happened. But, she quickly snapped out of her state of shock and returned the kiss.

It was the middle of May, and the commencement ceremony had just ended. Lauren, Normani, and their families had all decided to go out together to celebrate. Their families got along well. Normani's father chatted with Lauren's father about sports most of the night. Normani's mother chatted with Lauren's mother about a variety of things. As they all conversed, Lauren and Normani had their own conversation.

"Are you still going on the road with me?" asked Lauren.

Normani answered, "Yes, but only for the summer. I have to be back by the end of August for the start of school."

"Can't you take a year off?"

"No!" Normani scoffed. "I would have to reapply."

Lauren conceded, "Alright, alright. I didn't know. School comes first."

The band started with doing several shows around Texas and then traveled California. The band thought it would be a good place to get noticed by record companies. Normani liked shopping and sight-seeing in L.A., but she determined that she wouldn't want to stay there. On the other hand, Lauren loved it. She always thought she would be a New York person, but L.A. proved to have a good number of laidback, carefree people. It was she who convinced the band to stay in L.A. for longer than planned. They found several venues around the area in which to perform.