Chapter Six

(Picture above is of Miss Elena)

That evening Charlotte went to her room quickly to freshen up and change.

She washed her face before she went to her closet and pulled out a fresh blue blouse and tan skirt. After Charlotte changed she went to check on Lady Wellington.

When she opened the door she found her ladyship in her bed, reading.

"Miss Elena will be arriving soon, shall I dress you?" Lady Wellington glanced up from her novel and shook her head. "No need, I'll be dining in my room tonight." Charlotte's eyebrows scrunched, "Is your ladyship not feeling well?" she asked. Lady Wellington set the book down before she looked at her,

"I think that they will find the evening more enjoyable if an old lady isn't present." She explained. 

Charlotte's eyes widened slightly, "Unchaperoned?" 

"Of course not my dear girl!" Lady Wellington exclaimed. "While you're serving them, you will be the chaperone." She told her. 

"But what about when I'm no longer serving them?" 

"You will be standing along the wall, waiting for them to finish of course." Charlotte's gaze fell slightly as she realized that she would be watching them, together.

Lady Wellington must have noticed before commenting on her attire, "Why Charlotte, were you wearing that earlier?" 

"No, milady. Miss Pompson invited Doctor Chester tonight."

Her employer smiled faintly, "I see, He is very respectable and well established." 

Charlotte was momentarily confused until she discovered what her ladyship was implying. "Oh, no milady. He is just an acquaintance."

"Oh, well I do hope that I haven't disturbed your plans this evening." 

"Not at all, milady." Charlotte lied before leaving after she closed the window curtains.

Once she reached the landing she heard someone knock. She quickly made her way to the door before she opened it and found Miss Elena standing there, a carriage behind her. "Miss Elena, good evening. Do come in." She greeted before Miss Elena passed her. 

She looked around as if searching for someone, "Sir Edmund is in the study, I'm sure he'll meet with you shortly." She said. 

Miss Elena looked at her briefly before she made her way into the sitting room. Once inside the room, Charlotte headed towards the study and informed Sir Edmund that she had arrived. 

He looked up from the desk he sat at and sighed, "Thank you, Miss Charlotte." Charlotte gave a slight bow of the head before she walked towards the kitchen. 

"Miss Elena has just arrived." She told Miss Pompson, who snorted in response. 

"Very well, dinner will be served within the hour." Charlotte nodded before she made her way back to the sitting room where Miss Elena and now Sir Edmund were.                                              

"Major General." Miss Elena said as Sir Edmund strode towards her, "Miss Elena." He bowed, making her smile slightly. 

Charlotte silently stood in the corner as she was instructed and watched them converse. "I do hope you slept well the other night." She said to Sir Edmund. 

He seemed confused for a moment before he remembered, "Ah, yes, very well, thank you. And how did you sleep?" 

Miss Elena smirked, "Why Major General! How very curious you are...Well, since you ask, I found it rather difficult to rest when my thoughts were focused on worrying." She replied.