Chapter Four

Above is a picture of Sir Edmund Wellington 

It had been two weeks since Sir Edmund's arrival and Lady Wellington's spirits had improved immensely. 

Charlotte would never admit it but she could see her employer struggle to hold on, just to continue seeing her son. 

Ever since he came, Lady Wellington began trying to find him a suitable wife but to no avail. She even held a couple dinners with the hope that her son would find an interest in one of the young women she invited. 

He would be polite around them but afterward, would tell his mother that he was not quite ready to settle down. However, Lady Wellington dismissed the thought of him staying a bachelor and continued searching for a companion for him. She even went against doctor's orders and was adamant about receiving her guests personally. 

Tonight Lady Wellington had invited three young women who would be accompanied by their parents. Two of them were sisters and born into a wealthy family while the other was a distant cousin of the Wellington's who had just turned twenty.

Charlotte could help but wonder what Sir Edmund thought of the women that evening. 

The sisters, Miss Elena and Miss Amelia Mulligan were both young and eager to find a husband, the oldest being Miss Elena who was five and twenty while Miss Amelia was three and twenty. They both had long raven black hair and pearl-like skin. 

Miss Elena immediately engaged Edmund in a conversation about her family's recent journey to India when they arrived, which seemed to annoy her younger sister who carefully watched them from the corner of the room before venturing towards the fireplace where Lady Wellington, their distant cousin, Miss Elizabeth and Charlotte sat. 

Both Lady Wellington and Miss Elizabeth were quietly chatting with one another when Miss Amelia sat down beside Charlotte, staring at her as she was deciding whether or not to start a conversation with her. 

"Miss Charlotte, I presume?" She said as she arched her brow. "Yes, Miss Amelia?" Miss Amelia smiled, "It's a pleasure to meet you." "Thank you, I am very happy to make your acquaintance." 

Miss Amelia glanced at Sir Edmund and her sister before returning her attention to Charlotte. 

"She's a crafty one, My sister. Once she sets her mind upon something she always sees it through. Especially when it involves a man with an inheritance and a charming face." She whispered to Charlotte. 

"Sir Edmund says that he has no use for companionship at this time in his life," Charlotte replied, looking at the couple across from them.

"All men say they wish to remain bachelors until a beautiful woman comes along with nothing between her ears, Miss Charlotte, and he will find that in my sister, I assure you." Miss Amelia huffed. 

Charlotte looked at Miss Amelia before returning her gaze to Sir Edmund just when Miss Elena placed her hand subtly on his arm. 

"But never fear, Miss Charlotte. If Major General Wellington has any sense at all he will tire of my sister's facade." Miss Amelia said more to herself than to Charlotte. 

Charlotte's chest tightened when she saw Miss Elena smile flirtatiously at Sir Edmund. 

Why are Miss Elena actions bothering me so much? 

 Miss Amelia turned back to face Charlotte, "Miss Charlotte, are you also an acquaintance of Major General Wellington?" 

Charlotte peeled her gaze from them and turned to her. "Sir Edmund and I only know each other through his mother." Amelia's eyebrow rose questionably.