Chapter Eight

This chapter is dedicated to LoraLea44

   It was around nine one morning when Sir Edmund descended downstairs after he visited his mother. He entered the study to find a book to occupy himself with.

His fingers traced over the spines of the shelved books before he randomly selected one and made his way to a chair near the window for better lighting. He skimmed through the pages absentmindedly when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. As he gazed out the window his eyes instantly caught sight of Charlotte.

She was walking around with what appeared to be small clippers and a basket. Edmund's eyes followed her movements until she walked out of sight and turned his attention back to his novel. His lips moved faintly as he read the first sentence of the page his eyes had landed on but soon gave up after he had the overwhelming need for some fresh air.

Once outside he searched for Charlotte who had clipped several flowers and was leaning over a rose bush. Edmund walked quietly towards her, announcing his presence when he spoke, "Good morning, Miss Charlotte."

She looked up kindly, a smile appearing faintly on her face, "Good morning, Sir Edmund. I hope you slept well last night." Charlotte replied while she cut another rose from the bush. 

"Indeed, I did. And what of yourself?"

"I slept rather poorly, but no matter." She said as she walked to another flowerbed.

"What was the cause, might I ask?" 

"Mainly just thinking of my family back home." 

"Ah, I see. How is your family?" 

Charlotte looked at him thoughtfully before she focused on the plants. "Quite well. I just worry, my mother is quite old and now that my father has died, most of the labor has fallen on my young brother." 

Edmund walked toward her until he was by her side, "Labor?" 

Charlotte peered at him before explaining, "Oh, we own a farm."

"Ah, so you're a country woman." He said teasingly. 

Charlotte eyes shot up, "I grew up on a farm, but wouldn't go quite that far." 

His smile remained as if mocking her until she turned her gaze to the garden ahead of them. 

"How old is your brother?" He asked as he turned his face to look at her.

"John will be eighteen in September." 

"Have you any other siblings?" he questioned.

"I have had five younger siblings. Only two survived infancy though" She explained. 

"Oh, I am sorry to hear that." Charlotte turned towards him and smiled weakly, 

"My mother had a pair of twin girls a year after I was born but they died a week later because of a problem with their lungs and then after John and Martha were born my mother gave birth to my youngest brother, William. But...but he died at the age of four after catching the flu..."

Charlotte instantly wondered why she had just shared something so personal with a man she hardly knew and remained silent, trying to contain her emotions after mentioning William, as they continued to walk away from the garden.

"I apologize for mentioning such things." Charlotte finally said. 

Edmund looked at Charlotte's profile as she kept her gaze towards the ground. "You needn't apologize to me, Miss Charlotte." They both stopped walking, "We have both been given the burden of losing loved ones, Miss Charlotte. Though in different circumstances."