Chapter Three

The picture above is of Wellington Estate.

This chapter is dedicated to TaylorDovey 

Edmund woke up to the sound of a crackling fire. He instantly shot up from his bed to find its location when he saw her. 

Kneeling before the fireplace, Charlotte stoked the fire before wiping her hands on the apron she wore. 

Her hair had been pulled into a bun and she had replaced her nightgown with a cream blouse and black skirt. 

She rose to her feet when Edmund's bed suddenly creaked when he sat up, startling her. 

"Oh! Good morning, Sir Wellington. I'm sorry if I've woke you. I didn't want you to catch a chill and since I had made a fire up in your mother's chambers I thought I'd do the same in yours." She explained. 

"Oh, that was very kind of you."

"Not at all, sir," Charlotte replied as she opened the curtains letting the sun's rays flood the room. She collected her ash pail and began heading for the door. 

"Miss Clements." 

She turned around and waited for him to continue, "Yes, Sir Wellington?" 

"I wanted to apologize again for my behavior last night, it was disrespectful." 

Charlotte shifted her weight uncomfortably, "You needn't worry about last night, sir." She told him.

 "I hope I didn't offend you," Edmund said. 

"Not at all, Sir Wellington." 

He smiled in response before saying, "You needn't address me so formally, please call me by my Christian name." She stood there a little unsure of how to respond. 

Edmund got up and walked towards her. Her cheeks began to redden as he came near her. This confused Edmund before he remembered that he was wearing a partially unbuttoned nightshirt and pants. 

Charlotte parted her lips, "I fear, sir that it would make me feel uncomfortable to address you so casually, having just met you. Would you rather I call you, Major General or...Sir Edmund, perhaps?" Charlotte said keeping her eyes focused on the ground. 

"Well, I guess I would prefer the latter. I am called Major General by my men regularly and would fancy a change."  

Charlotte smiled meekly before she glanced at him. "Well, Sir Edmund, breakfast will be waiting for you when you are ready to come down." She bowed her head before leaving the room, closing the door quietly behind her. Leaving Edmund to himself as he changed into his day clothes. 

After he had gotten dressed he left his room and headed to his mother's. As he came around the corner he paused before the doorway and saw that the door was ajar. He peeked through the opening and saw his mother lying in her bed with her eyes closed. 

"Tell me Charlotte, what is it like outside?" Charlotte's figure came into view as she sat beside his mother in a chair. "It's rather damp, Milady. This morning just as the sun was rising, it began to drizzle." 

"I used to be fond of rainy days. But with the passing of years, you discover that the weather affects your muscles and makes you feel quite drowsy. My how old I sound!" Lady Wellington laughed lightly before she began coughing harshly. 

"Perhaps tomorrow, Milady, I could take you around the gardens. It could be our secret... It would be good for you." His mother lifted her hand and placed it against Charlotte's cheek.