Training Wheels

OKAY A LOT OF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE BOLDED OR ITALICIZED BUT WATTPAD IS FUCKED UP AT THE MOMENT SO

a/n idek care about the update day. If I want to update early I gon update early.)

I sit on my bed, tear stained cheeks from crying over something that happened 3 days ago. I lost him. I lost Johnny.

•3 days ago•

"I thought about it." Johnny says.

"About what?" I ask, biting down on my cheek in nervousness.

"About my feelings. About you." He replies, looking down at the ground, cheeks turning pink.

"Johnny I know I said how I feel, and I know you probably don't feel the same. But I do, I love you." I say, for some reason growing confidence.

"I-I think I love you too." He says, his voice quiet. That's all I needed. I peck him on the lips.

"I love you I love you I love you Johnny." I say, smiling and swinging our hands that were now intertwined.

"Will you do something that you'll think is crazy because you told me that it's one of your fears?" I ask, after a few minutes of silence.

"W-what?" Johnny asks.

"Ride a bike with me." I say. "Like 2 wheels, no training wheels."

His face turns from joyful to scared in the blink of an eye. "No!" He says loudly, but softly. I'm not quite sure why he's so afraid, so I decide to keep trying.

"C'mon Johnny! It'll be okay, nothing will happen!" I encourage him.

"O-okay but if something happens its your fault." Johnny warns me.

"Okay, but nothing will happen!" I say as I skip towards my garage, pulling him with me.

I grab my pink and purple bicycle. It still has training wheels on it, even though I know how to ride without them.

I bring the bike to Johnny, and make him get on the bike. "Ride around." I command. "Get used to it a little.

He begins to ride all around the driveway and when he turns to come back to me, I tell him to get off. Then, I go to my dad's old toolbox.

I open the box, thinking about how he used all of these tool, and how he touched all these tools. I grab a screwdriver and hold it close to my chest. Then, fighting back tears, I turn around and walk back to the bike.

I take off the training wheels and carefully place the screwdriver back in its place. I kick the training wheels to the side and help hold the bike steady while Johnny mounts it.

"Okay Johnny, now I won't let go. Just pretend the training wheels are still on!" I tell him while I hold on to the back of his seat.

After a few minutes of Johnny riding, I hear him mumble "I think I got it now." So I let go.

He rides fine for at least 3 minutes, but he then loses his balance and falls over. He scrapes his knee on the asphalt. I quickly rush over with a band-aid I had in my pocket just in case.

I take the edge of my skirt and wipe the blood off of Johnny's knee. "Ow." He squeaks, tears beginning to fall from his eyes.

"Johnny it's okay!" I tell him as I place the band-aid on his knee. When it's on, I kiss the padding of the band-aid. "You're okay." I whisper.

"I'm okay." He repeats, and stands up. "I don't want to ride anymore."

"Why not Johnny? It's just a scrape." I try to convince him to get back on the bike, but he just shakes his head and looks down. "Fine. If you bike for 10 more minutes, I'll make you cookies and ice cream!"

His face lights up at the mention of cookies and ice cream, so he steadies the bike on his own and attempts to start moving. The bike loses its balance again, but he catches himself with his foot before he could fall over. This time, I steady the bike while he sits on it. I hold on to the bike until he starts moving.

•Seven Minutes Later•

"3 more minutes to go!" I yell at Johnny. He's riding up and down the street all by himself. I felt like a proud mother, but I was actually just a proud girlfriend.

He starts to bike back to me, because he was at the opposite end of the street.

Mistake number one.

As he gets near me, I tell him he still has about 1 1/2 minutes left. So he starts to bike back to the other end.

Mistake number two.

"Time up!" I shout. Johnny bikes towards me again. He can ride his bike very good now! I'm very proud.

When he finally bikes in front of me, he turns around to go up the driveway of the house across the street. He starts to go back down the driveway, and I pucker my lips preparing to kiss him.

But I shouldn't have closed my eyes. I shouldn't have even made him bike, I should have never made Johnny do anything he didn't want to do. But I'm just a stupid girl who makes stupid decisions.

It was a stupid car with a stupid driver. A driver who didn't even stop for a second to make the sure the boy he hit didn't die.

But at least it wouldn't have made a difference.

He was dead from the second the car made contact with his spine.

•••

Oh snap Johnny's dead oops.

I'm so sorry for not updating in forever! I'm reaaaalllly sorry. But I need to say some things.

5k: THANK YOU SFM

Also: idk if this is how it's counted but this book is #29 under "Melanie Martinez"! (I counted down don't judge meh)

Chicken Grease Peace Nipples,

Anna x