I feel Alicia apply something cold to my toenails and think vaguely that I should ask what she’s doing, but I’m too relaxed.

I’ll let this one slide, I think.

“Are you done her hair?”

“Yeah, I’m going to let it drip dry.”

“Can you start on her nails?”

“French, yeah?”

“Yep, with rounded tips.”

“I’m on it.”

I listen to this stream of conversation and wonder what French nails with rounded tips are.

“Okay, time to get out before you wrinkle,” Angelina says, taking the potato off my eyes.

“Do I have to?” I ask sleepily.

“Do you want to get married?”

“Hang on,” Alicia says. She wipes my face off with a warm flannel.

“Mmm, my skin smells like strawberries,” I sigh. Alicia laughs and hands me a towel.

“Get into this,” Angelina says, handing me a bathrobe. I dry off and pull on my underwear and the robe. Angelina wraps my hair in a towel.

“Be careful of your nails,” she says, leading me upstairs to my bedroom.

“What time is it?” I ask, lounging back on my pillows.

“It’s about twelve,” Angelina replies.

“You’re kidding?” I gasp, sitting up straight. The towel on my head comes undone and falls down over my face. Angelina takes it, laughing.

“No, I’m not kidding,” she says, “and don’t worry, we have plenty of time.”

“Four hours!”

“Plenty of time,” Alicia repeats soothingly, “now, have you ever waxed your legs?”

“Oh, no, no, no!” I cry, backing away, “can’t we do that with magic?”

“Well, we could,” Angelina says ponderingly, “but where would the fun be in that?”

“Hold still,” Alicia says, holding up a long strip of paper with bright green paste smeared on it. I try to jerk my leg out of the way, be she gets me.

“Only one way to get it off now,” she says triumphantly. She leans over and rips it off. I wince, then blink, surprised.

“That actually felt good,” I comment, shocked.

“I’ve never understood what the big deal is,” Angelina says, pulling my leg out straight.

“Can I do yours after?” I ask.

“We’re done,” Alicia says, “but we can do your eyebrows.”

I groan and hide my face under a pillow.

“Now, your eyebrows actually do hurt the first time,” Angelina says right after she’s put the wax on.

“Wha- OW!” I squeal. Alicia looks and grimaces.

“You’re a bleeder,” she says, pressing a tissue to my eyebrow.

“I’m bleeding?” I cry, grabbing a mirror. There’s a tiny spot of blood on my eyebrow, but I barely notice that because the area underneath my eyebrow is bright pink.

“Oh, that’s a great look,” I say sarcastically, “really nice.”

“It’ll be gone in five minutes,” Angelina says, “come one. Let me do the other one.”

“No way!”

“You have to, you’ll look like an idiot with one neat eyebrow and one messy one,” Alicia says. Sighing, I hold still while Angelina prepares her torture instrument. I bite my lip with she rips it off.

“Done now?” I ask through gritted teeth.

“Done,” she nods. I sigh with relief, then Alicia pulls my arm up and sticks some wax on my armpit.

“OUCH!” I groan as she rips it off, “that was so painful!”

“The first time is the worst,” she says, doing the other one.

“Okay, are you actually done this time?” I say, curling up against the wall. Angelina puts the wax away.

“Completely done,” she says, “and don’t you feel great?”

“No,” I grumble, rubbing my under arms. They exchange a smile.

“Now’s the fun part,” Alicia says, “now we get to do hair and makeup!”