Chapter 25

**Maddie’s POV**

At dinner I can’t eat. In fact, it’s a struggle not to throw up. I’m forcing myself to stare at my plate to avoid looking at George and Vanessa at the Ravenclaw table. She’s sitting in his lap again. They’re feeding each other little bits of food and flirting.

“Ignore it,” Fred mutters, placing his arm protectively around my shoulders. I bite my lip, trying to hold the tears in.

“I have to go,” I tell Fred, “I can’t take this.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” Fred offers. I shake my head and get up quickly.

“I’ll see you in the morning,” I say briefly, turning towards the door. I’m surprised when McGonagall meets me at the door.

“The password for Gryffindor tower is Balderdash,” she says, “and Pine Fresh for the prefect bathroom.”

“Thanks,” I say, not meeting her eye.

“Have a good sleep,” she continues, lowering her voice, “things are always better after a hot shower and a good sleep. Fred Weasley is a good friend.”

I watch her walk away, puzzled. It’s almost as if she was being… Sympathetic!

I walk up to Gryffindor tower and find some pyjamas and a thick cloak and collect my toiletries before walking down to the prefect bathroom.

“Pine Fresh,” I mutter. I walk in and close and lock the door. I run the bath with an assortment of bubbles, then undress and slip into the hot water. I sigh and slide right under the water for a moment.

I get some shampoo and scrub my hair thoroughly twice before conditioning it. I don’t get out of the bath until my skin has wrinkled, then I dry my self off and towel-dry my hair. It smells like flowers. I get into my pyjamas, wrap my thick coat around me and walk back to Gryffindor tower. I’m surprised that no one is there. I walk up to my dormitory and climb into bed, shedding the cloak. I snuggle down under the blankets and let the tears flow down my cheeks, knowing I’ll regret it in the morning.

**Fred’s POV**

I’m at breakfast long before Maddie the next morning. George, Lee and I are discussing methods of aging ourselves. Vanessa hasn’t arrived yet, thankfully, and George is acting almost normally. When Maddie arrives the first thing I notice is that her hair is still blonde and her eyes are still blue. When she spots us she holds her head up and walks towards us. George jumps up, smiling.

“Hey!” he calls, moving around the table. Maddie looks confused, but as he rushes past her we all understand. Vanessa arrives just after Maddie. I watch any colour left in Maddie’s face drain out.

“Maddie-“ I start, but she shakes her head and sits down.

“I’m fine,” she breathes, “just… Distract me.”

“We’re thinking an aging potion is the way to go,” Lee says excitedly. Maddie frowns.

“What’re you talking about?”

“Oh! You missed it!” I cry, clapping my hand to my forehead, “the Tri-“

“I know about that,” Maddie interrupts, “the potion won’t work.”