I'm Cupid - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Toby's POV

The series of thoughts that crossed my mind in under two minutes would probably worry any psychiatrist about my mental health. 

At first I wanted to laugh, really really loudly, but I held it back the last second when I saw the utter seriousness in Angel's face. Her eyes were staring right into mine, determination mixed with a little bit of fear that made me question if she was really telling the truth.

But she couldn't be, could she?

I mean, Cupid? Out of all of things, Cupid

My mom always told me stories about this little grown baby that flew around in diapers shooting arrows at random people, which honestly scared the living shit out of me, and kind of still does, if I'm honest. 

But now, even if I was scared, I briefly wondered if I would have preferred for that baby to actually exist so I could evade the fear and pain I could see in my friend's eyes, most probably because of her being a super natural being and all. 

The next raging emotion that I felt once the laughter died down, truthfully, was fear.

It's not every day that the cute girl you befriended some time ago turns out to be a mystical being that I thought only existed along with the Greeks. And, if Angel did happen to be Cupid, god it sounded stupid in my head, she ought to have some kind of power, right?

That means that she could kick my ass if I was stupid, which was always.

Great.

And then the disbelief settled in, as I looked into her eyes.

There was no doubt that she was gorgeous, out of this world maybe, but Cupid? A little creature that made people fall in love? How could that even happen. 

I don't know if it was her talent at reading me, or my eyes were showing exactly what I was feeling, but I noticed how she lowered her gaze and her shoulders fell down a bit, a sigh escaping her lips. She looked disappointed, which for some reason made my stomach tight up in a knot. I didn't want to upset Angel. She, along with a couple of other people where the only thing that truly mattered to me and I couldn't stand the though of me hurting her. 

I swallowed, pursing my lips. My gut was screaming at me to talk about it, find more information before abolishing the idea completely. 

Either I lost my mind, or I somehow felt like Angel was too pure to lie to me with something like this. 

"Okay. I need you to explain and not judge me if I seem not convinced. Go." I managed to say as I stated bouncing my knee, anxious to know more. Angel looked up, a brief look of surprise flashing through her eyes before I saw the unmistakable look of hope washing over her face. 

Her grin nearly made my heart stop. Even if I had no romantic interest on her, I couldn't deny the automatic feeling of warmth Angel gave to me. It was almost addictive, like a natural reward for being her friend. I briefly questioned if her 'being Cupid' had something to do with that. 

I sound insane. 

"Okay well,-" Her voice cut me off of my thoughts and I looked at her just to see a pointed look in her eyes, her silent way of telling me to stop acting like a two year old and pay attention for more than .02 seconds. I nodded sheepishly. 

"The whole deal with Cupid has been going on for millenniums, as far back as the whole of humanity goes. Common beliefs say that he's a he, and that it's just one. But it's not. The first one was a guy, the son of Aphrodite and Mars.