I'm Cupid - Chapter 11

Chapter 11

They say that Cupid is always calm and collected, right?

Wrong. 

I was actually the complete opposite of that as I stood behind the door to my mate's apartment, the cookies I'd baked the night before sitting on the plate on my hands. That's right, I decided enough is enough, and that if I didn't want to die in the next few months out of complete heartbreak, I should start trying to woo my man. Even if he possibly had someone else. Meh.

I took a deep breath and tried to ignore the constant shaking of my hands and the hard beating of my chest, and lightly knocked the door. Part of me, the panicked part of me, was disappointed that after a few minutes, the door swung open and my mate's face appeared at the other side, his hair disheveled in the best way possible, his jaw lightly covered with a light 5 o'clock shadow. 

I cleared my throat, my brain trying to force panic mode onto my body. 

"Uh.. Hi-Good morning ma- boy I live next door to. I just uh.. made some cookies and thought you'd maybe want some... Seeing as we'll be seeing each other a lot I'm sure I wondered why not start correctly?" I awkwardly let out a chuckle, mentally kicking myself for how un-Cupid-like I seemed. His stare seemed to fix on me for ages, before he finally let out a sigh, his eyes not really meeting mine. He seemed to debate something, conflict clear on his face, before he glanced at the cookies and then at my eyes. 

"You know that if I let you in, it doesn't mean we're going to be in any sort of relationship right? Just acquaintances, at the most" His voice was deep and coated with sleep, and I could only nod through my heart slowly cracking.  He opened the door wider and stepped aside, moving his hand towards the inside of his apartment for me to come in. I distractedly took a deep breath and slowly walked in, his alluring scent wrapping around me immediately, making me feel at home in a second. He guided me to the kitchen, and gruffly told me to leave the plate on the counter.

I placed them down and quickly turned around, catching him staring at me before quickly averting his eyes. With that, my normal confidence patched up a little. At least he found me attractive.  I tapped my hands against my long skirt, the black material falling swiftly to the floor and brushing against my ankles. I looked around, instantly noticing the various empty bottles of alcohol carefully pushed to the corner, waiting to be thrown away. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him rub the bridge of his nose, his body leaning against the wall. 

I swear he got more attractive each day

I heard him sigh before looking at me. "Would you like something to drink? Coffee, tea, some whisky.." He grumbled the last part, looking like he was seriously debating drinking alcohol at nine in the morning of a Sunday. "Coffee" I replied, happy that now I at least had an excuse to stay inside his home a little longer. He nodded, pushing himself off of the wall and walking to where he kept his cups, taking two out. He swiftly pulled out a bag of coffee grains and placed them on a coffee brewer, making black coffee almost immediately. He poured it in the two cups, giving one to me. 

"Here's the sugar, if you want milk, you can dump some of the coffee and add it." He said, taking a sip of his cup. With no sugar. Jesus this man was bitter. I nodded, taking the sugar and and dumping close to three teaspoons. He looked at me with a hint of amusement, to which I shrugged. "What... I have a sweet tooth." My voice came out defensively, and I watched surprised as his lips pulled up into a grin just as he was about to take a sip. He nodded his head lightly, tongue running through his bottom lip before chugging some of his coffee. "I can see that" he murmured before turning around and walking to the couch across.