Chapter 24: Chains

"I promise."

The line suddenly disconnected, and I started to panic. Asher moved his hands down to my waist, and I let out a whimper.

"Let go of me!"

He chuckled sadisticly at my weak attempt.

"Mm. If only I cared about what you told me sweetheart."

His meaty arm made its way up to my neck, and he began to choke me. I felt his dry hands squeeze tighter until I was sure that my neck would snap.I scratched and clawed, but he was too strong for me. He towered over me, and he was built way bigger than I was. My air began to run out, so I dug my nails into his skin making him grunt in pain. My body began to relax and it suddenly became freezing cold. My vision went black, but I could hear shuffling around me.

I wondered if this was it.

I didn't want to die here, and I surely didn't want to be remembered as the average college student who strung along two guys, and died because she had a demented stalker trying to kill her on more than one occasion.

The familiar and homey smell of mint and vanilla scented candles surrounded me. I wanted to live and die at the same time. Memories crashed into me and I relived each one, hoping I could just travel back in time and start over.

I don't think I could live to see Asher's wicked face everyday trying to find new ways to torture me. I hated how easy to read I was and anyone could do it even if we were complete strangers. I promised Michael I wouldn't stop fighting, but promises are meant to be broken, but not this one.

I let my mind wander and I began to pray to God that Luke finds all the happiness in the world and accomplishes everything he wants to in life.

He was always a big dreamer.

He once told me when he was a kid he wanted to be the first person on Mars to die, and when he first told me I thought he was crazy or joking, but it all makes sense.

He said he would only be remembered when he stepped foot on Mars for the first time and when he died there, and those flimsy years in between won't mean anything to anyone.

People only care about numbers and statistics.

People won't remember the guy who survived for 2 months stranded on an island, but they'll remember a guy who only ate broccoli for 2 years.

If he was the first to do it then he would go down in history if he was even the second no one would really remember or care.

Michael... Michael never dreamed about anything as far as he's told me.

He believes in things that are realistic like being a doctor or lawyer.

He doesn't believe in being the most famous person in the world because they invented something or had some special talent.

I told him once that if he opened himself up to the world's possibilities that he could do anything he wanted no matter if he was smart or dumb rich or poor.

He said he doesn't believe in luck, hope, or the easy way. If he opened up even a little the world would rip him open the rest of the way making him feel helpless.

He hated being judged because he was wealthy, he said that he wished that he could've been poor or average so he could show people that he could earn everything he owned.

I hope he realizes that he doesn't owe anyone an explanation, if he knows he worked hard for it then by all means buy yourself a Rolex or a Range Rover.

I want Michael to find whatever he's searching for and along the way I hope he finds someone who he can truly love forever.

No.