The beginning of it all

Katherine had arrived from Tokyo to New York. In her opinion New York was quite amazing. The tall buildings surrounding her that reached to the sky. The hustle and bustle of traffic reminded her of home.

Katherine was on her way to 45 East Evan Street on March 29th at 4:20PM in a taxi that was taking its sweet time. Seriously Katherine thought. Could he go any slower?

The taxi pulled up in front of an apartment complex that looked to be kinda old. The fire escapes on the side, rusted ladders and dirt noticeable from a distance. Charming Katherine thought sarcastically.

Katherine threw a twenty at the taxi driver mumbling a quick 'keep the change' before she opened the door and stepped out. She stood on the pavement in front of the building as the taxi pulled out back onto the street behind her before zooming off. Katherine sighed as she thought to herself 'this better be good' as she hiked her small carry bag that she had brought along with her from her hotel onto her shoulder. Before she began to walk inside.

Katherine was greeted by a set of stairs. She climbed the first few steps before leaning over the railing, looking up. The stairs appeared to go on forever as she could only just see the ceiling. Gotta love taking the stairs that seemed to go on forever. Although she kinda preferred the stairs to the elevator. Katherine hated the idea of momentarily being trapped metal box going either up or down. To her it was hell.

Katherine continued her way up the stairs, completing the first flight of stairs before coming to a stop. At the end of the short walk way was a man in a black button-down shirt with a black jacket and a black ferro hat sat neatly on top of his head. He lent against a door that lead to an apartment.

"Okay... So apparently i wasn't the only one chosen." He stated as his voice rang down the small corridor.

She walked towards him about to reply. But was stopped short.

"Question? Did you get one of these?" He asked holding up a tarot card with the eye on it as he waited for her reply, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Uh yeah" Katherine replied as patted down her pockets trying to find it before pulling it out of the back pocket of her skinny jeans. She held up the card as he nodded. She placed the card back in her pocket again.

"Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Merritt McKinney."

He stated and held his hand out for Katherine to shake.

"My nam-" Katherine said as she shook his hand but was cut off by Merritt.

"No no no don't tell me. Is it Ka- Katy?" He asked unsure before he said "No! Katherine?"
He asked again slightly more confident that his last answer.
"Yeah." Katherine breathed out as she laughed.

"Mentalism?" She asked
"Yeah." He replied with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Nice." She stated nodding her head smiling.

She'd met a few mentalist in the past. Definitely interesting people that's for sure she thought.

"You look familiar. What's your last name?" He asked trying to piece together why Katherine look so familiar.

"Cho my name is Katherine Cho aka the trickster." She stated proudly grinning from ear to ear.

"Oh yeah your that chic from Tokyo with all the fire magic thingy." He nodded pointing a finger towards her.