Chapter 8

I was at Will's house doing homework with the rest of our friends. Well, they were doing homework. I was on my phone.
"Okay. Number 1: a radioactive zombie is charging at your hero. Do you hand him a) his silver tipped crossbow, b) his spike, c) his-" Will got cut off by Zach. "Man that's so weak! I'm already holding his crossbow, why can't I just shoot him myself?"
"He makes a good point" I said while only half paying attention.  "Because we're hero support. And if your hero asks for a crossbow, you hand it to him" Ethan said.
"Or her" Layla said.  "By the way Zach, you can't kill a zombie. You can only...re-kill it."
"No! A zombie is totally alive, so you can kill it normally! Tell him Harley!"
I had just noticed the conversation going on between my two friends. I looked up from my phone and looked at Layla for help. All she did was laugh a little at me, so I turned back to the boys and shrugged. "What's got you so distracted" Ethan asked me. I just shrugged and went back to my phone, but didn't notice Magenta looking over my shoulder. She let out a snort and said "Warren Peace has you distracted?" I quickly put my phone away while trying to hide my blush. "I have no idea what you're t-talking about" I said. "You stuttered! You never stutter" she shouted. "Shit" I mumbled under my breath. I calmed myself down and looked up at everyone. "If you must know, Warren and I have a project for Mr. Madula that we need to work on. So if you could just mind your own business life would get on peachy keen" I snapped. "What did that kid do to you" Will asked me. I just sat there and stared at him with my mouth open. Finally I came to my senses and said "I'm leaving."
I was packing up my things when Mr. Stronghold walked into the room. "So if you kids are all in here, who's all out there saving the world?" Out of the corner of my eye I could see Zach and Ethan quietly fangirling. "Dad" Will said with a smile, but immediately dropping it when he asked "Why are you home so early?"
"Well. After I stopped the super dome from collapsing, I was watching the game, and I got to thinking. It's been awhile since Will and I tossed the ol' pig skin around. So I thought I'd come home, but I see you, Layla, and Harley have already made some new friends" he said while eyeing me. Ethan went up to him and started to question him, like the geek he is, and I smiled a little. Everyone was telling him their powers and you could see the disappointment on face when Magenta told him she shape-shifted into a guinea pig. "Great. Well, I make a mean tuna salad sandwich. Anybody want one" Mr stronghold asked. I felt my face contort into a disgusted look. Everyone else followed my lead because they soon started shaking their heads no. After he left to the kitchen I looked at Will. "Go talk to him" I said. He opened his mouth like he was going to talk back, so I talked before he could. "It was an order, not a choice Will. Even though I really want to punch you in the face right now, I still want you to tell your dad the truth. So go tell him" I said while giving him a sympathetic smile. When I saw him walk through the doors I pulled my backpack straps over my shoulder and stood up. "Wait. You're really leaving" Layla asked. "Yeah. I said I was leaving, so I'm going to leave."
"Where are you gonna go?"
"I'm hungry, so I think I'm gonna go get chinese. Text me if you want anything and I'll bring it to your house later" I said while giving everyone a hug goodbye. I had just gone out the door when I heard Will's dad yelling at him.

I walked through the doors of the Paper Lantern and went to sit at my usual booth. I'm a regular costumer, so I didn't even have to order before someone brought out my food. "Here's your food miss. Right off the grill" the waiter said while placing my food down. The voice sounded familiar, so I looked up and my grey eyes were met with a familiar pair of chocolate orbs. "Warren? What are you doing here" I asked confused. "Well...um...ah...I kinda work here" he said sheepishly. A smile slowly made its way across my face as I looked at him. "I come here all the time, so how in the world have I never seen you here?"
"I don't know. I usually only work the night shift. Do you mind if I sit down" he asked pointing to the empty seat in front of me. "No. Go ahead" I said motioning to it. He sat down and smiled at me. I swear, this boy's smile is more contagious than chicken pox. I smiled back and motioned to my plate of food "Want some?" He laughed a little while nodding his head. I picked up my fork because I suck at chopsticks and I heard a laugh. I looked up and was met with Warren basically wetting himself because he was laughing so hard. "What? Did I do something?"
"No it's just. You do know this is a Chinese restaurant and you're supposed to use chopsticks right" he said still laughing slightly. "Yeah I know, but ask me if I give a flying fluck."
"Fine. Harley Davidson, do you give a flying fluck about not using chopsticks in a Chinese restaurant?"
"Fluck no" I said. I couldn't control it anymore, so I let out a laugh. And because I have such good luck, that laugh turned into a snort. Warren and I immediately stopped laughing and just stared. He then started to giggle which made me laugh too. We then started eating and laughing until he had to lock the place up for the night.

"Well that was fun" I said as we were walking down the sidewalk. He had offered to walk me home, so of course I accepted. Just because you have powers doesn't mean it's not fun to sometimes play the damsel in distress. "Yeah. I think that's the most fun I've had at work since I started working there. Well actually there was one time when this super hot chick walked in and gave me her number without even asking" he said. I felt my smile fall, so I looked down at our feet and said "Oh. Cool." I heard a light chuckle and looked up at Warren. "I'm just messing with you Lee. I just wanted to see what your reaction would be."
I felt my chest tighten as he said the nickname that Will had given me and somehow, I liked it better when he said it. "So, do you think I could get a job where you work. I've been looking for one but I couldn't find a place that didn't already employ major douches" I asked. "Well I'm sure they would hire you, but I'm not sure if you need the money" he said as we stopped in front of my house. He was looking at it with wide eyes. "Just because my parents are rich doesn't mean I get money all the time. Actually, right now I only have $1 so I'm pretty broke right now. The only way they give me money is if I work around the house. I don't know about you but I don't particularly like trimming bushes" I said while laughing. "Makes since" he said while smiling at me. He just continued to smile at me, even after I stopped laughing, and I started to fidget. He laughed again and said "God. You don't know how cute your are when you do awkward stuff like that. Like, I could literally die from cuteness from watching you all day." I blushed and looked at anything but him. He gave me a quick hug, ruffled my hair, and turned around to walk home. He didn't think I noticed, but I had seen the small blush that had crept up his cheeks. I smiled to myself, not even bothering to fix my hair, and ran straight inside the house to my room. I kept replaying the little scene from outside as I fell asleep.