Chapter Seven

CHARISSA'S POV

***

"Charissa, darling!"

Everyone's eyes turn to look at me, as I felt myself flush. I wasn't used to anyone paying attention to me when my parents had guests over. I felt my eyes naturally shift to glance at the girl, only to find her eyes planted on me already. She was studying with such an intimidating look I felt like I would just melt at the spot.

"Sorry, I'm late."

"Don't worry," my mother says, then pats the empty chair to her left, "We were just getting started. Now join us."

My parents and Michael parents started off with simple small talk at the dinner table, while I uncomfortably tried to swallow the mashed potato which tasted like nothing in my mouth. Was I feeling unwell, or was I just nervous?

"Was it Charissa?"

I looked up to see the source of the voice, and felt my heart jump a little as I realised it was the girl. Her voice was melodic, like a lullaby, and her gaze hadn't changed from when she had just seen me.

"Uh, y-yes."

She turns to my mother, "Would you mind if I borrowed your daughter for a tour of the house?" 

Um.. was I allowed to say no?

Michael, who was seated across of me and next to the stunning girl, glanced briefly at me, before smiling to himself and continuing with his meal. Somehow I felt as though he knew his sister was going to intimidate me on purpose?

"Of course she wouldn't mind!" my mother answers for me, as the girl gives my mother a polite smile, "Come on honey, show Sophie around the house."

I get up from the table, as she does the same, and I guide her into the book room. As I opened my mouth to introduce our location, she beats me to talking.

"So," she asks me once our families were out of earshot. "Are you serious about my brother?"

"W-what?"

Her question was so direct, it caught me completely off guard. It was like she wasn't afraid of hurting your feelings whatsoever and she just got straight to the point.

"Michael. Are your feelings for him genuine?"

"Um, uh, I'm not too sure yet," I said, mixing in a bit of truth a little white lies, "But I'm sure I'm getting more and more attached to him."

"Are you sure?" She narrows her eyes.

"Positive," I surprise myself at my sudden confidence, as she looks a little taken aback too. She then softens up and gives me a thin smile. She wasn't acting exactly friendly, but I could tell she told herself I was someone she could perhaps trust.

"Well, just a heads up," she looks directly at me, "But if you hurt him, even slightly, I will never forgive you."

She reminded me a lot of Cameron and Mason, so I didn't blame her for being so protective over Michael. I understood why she was doing this and how much I would've appreciated it if I was in Michael's shoes.

I nod.

"Good," she gives me a full smile now, "Thank you."

We stand there for around a minute, as she was studying the variety of books we had. Her eyes stop scanning the shelf as it landed on a book on the top shelf. I shifted my attention to where her gaze was fixated and realised that it was on Romeo and Juliet. 

She must've known I was looking at the book too, as she says, "This is Michael's all time favourite book. He's read it over forty times." 

"Romeo and Juliet?" I ask, quite surprised. Michael was a Shakespearean type of guy?