Chapter Five

The Truth About Forever {Chapter Five}

CHARISSA'S POV

My mind stopped functioning for a split second before the words my father just said flowed into my system and I began to comprehend them. He wants me to date Michael?

“Charissa?”

My head snaps up, the voice of my mother bringing me back to reality. I noticed everyone’s eyes focused on me, as I squirmed in my seat, “Yeah, what?”

“You understand what I mean, right?”  My father questions me.

"What's the need to do so?" I turn to face my father bravely, who looks at me with an appalled expression. He quickly gained his composure though. 

"What gives you the right to question me?" 

“Father, I can’t just develop a romantic relationship with whomever you please.”

I hear a soft gasp escape my father’s lips, eyes widening in further shock. I didn’t blame him for this reaction though - throughout my entire life, I had never once said no or disapproved of my parent’s commands.

“What do you mean you can’t?”, he asks, acting as if he had never heard that word his entire life.

“I just can’t date Michael, father.”

“And why is that?” My father practically hisses at me in frustration, not even trying to mask his anger towards me.

“Because…”

“Because?” All eyes were fixed one me, and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat again.

“I um, I can’t, because I…”

Before I finished my sentence, my mother speaks up and asks, “Michael, darling, what do you think of this rearrangement?”

Oh thank god they had turned their attention to him, now he can be the one rejecting me. This was much easier to solve than I had expected.

I watch as he puts down his book, and makes eye contact with my mother, charming smile planted on his face. “I have no problem with it,” Michael says without even a second of hesitation.

Exactly.

Wait. 

What the fuck?

Did he just say what I think he did? Why would he do that? Why would he say that? Besides he knew I was dating Seth, how could he do that to his best friend? And what on earth makes him think I would even say yes if he asked me out in first place? This guy was unbelievable, after acting like such a nice guy this afternoon... was this who he truly was?

“See, Charissa? Now stop being such a hindrance to everyone and just agree to this. You have got to stop being so selfish and put yourself in someone else’s shoes - in everyone's shoes,” my father insists.

I felt myself stiffen. Selfish? Me? If one person had to be selfish, it would definitely not have been me. It would be you, father. 

“Michael, if you don't mind, may I please have a word with you?” I snap at him through gritted teeth.

“Sure,” he shrugs, and then gets up from his seat as I do the same. I bow to the adults and begin trailing behind him, as I glared at his back. 

We walk over to the balcony of my house, where we could just hear the soft jazz music playing in the background. Michael takes a sip of his beverage just before I stomp on his foot. Hard.