chapter 48

Sometimes between past and present, Soha misplaces Manik.

Right now, she wasn't seeing an older, appalled, brooded man with cuts and crevices all around his personality, but the younger, fresher version of him. The boy with the brown curls and brown eyes that melted like warm cocoa every time she would look at him. The boy who trusted her once. How beautiful it was to keep that look of his eyes, exclusively for her. He used to share his life with her. He used to believe in the woman who was once a fountain for his thoughts, and now the woman is the witch in his nightmares. Now, the woman terrorizes his thoughts, triggers his feelings and makes him want to choke them out of his rough, parched throat.

Right now, she denied to see the destroyed version of him, denied her sins, her credibility in causing it.

"Please." She whispered, stretching out the word like a trail of fresh worries.

"You can't cage me." Manik whispered, cold and frightening to his own senses as he gripped the gun tighter. The boy with the warmer eyes was gone. These eyes didn't melted; they froze to sharp edges, enough to make a living bleed.

Somewhere between all the chaoses in her thoughts, Soha was bolted out with the realization that she lost him. She lost his innocence just like she lost hers. Until, she heard a low whimper escaping his lips.

"You broke me." Manik muttered in a broken tone as a tear rolled out of his eye. He tightened his grip on the Gun, pressing it deeper to his skull until a vein cracked out of his forehead, tensing his mind. "I trusted you, all those times. You were my inspiration. How could, how could you ever..." He couldn't complete his words as another whimper made its way and his breath came out shaking, trembling with suffocation.

Soha thought she lost him, just like she lost herself. However, his cries were a relief to her because he still knew how to feel. Soha didn't. She was way beyond broken that healing was never an option.

"Manik," Soha heard Varun say, as she faced the ground, "It's pointless." His tone was dreadfully hopeless, as if he could shot himself as well after Manik. Varun never had faith in her, yet hearing him talk so helplessly of her somewhere made her twitch with an unknown fear.

"Put the gun down, Manik."

But Manik was so gone into his mind that nothing made sense anymore. Without giving any second thought, He loaded the gun.

"Stop the fucking drama!" Varun shouted this time, loud and full of roaring worries. His eyes were wide blown open with fear creeping into their greenness, and grasping the reality, Soha gasped in shock.

"Stop it! Stop it, I'll do anything you say, anything you want! You want me to leave you, right? I will! I will leave Varun as well, I will never ever bother you two again but please fucking don't do this Manik--"

Till the time she could beg more, they had already heard the gun shot.

Earth slide down beneath her feet as she trembled like a leaf and knelt to the ground with a thud, there were redness in her nerves when they crept out of her eyes and for a fraction of second, she felt destroyed with no hopes of revival.

"Whoosh, I think we scared her."

She heard another voice, completely unfamiliar. Raising her head with spasms still lingering all over her body, she witnessed Manik still standing over there, holding the gun still close to his head, and no kind of blood dripping from his skull, or any part of his body.