⇀ eight

REYNA FELT A rush of adrenaline when she saw the ship that she thought only existed in the rumors that drunken pirates would spread sailing right beside the ship she was brought to. But as her feet hit the solid deck, she felt like her whole life was suddenly colourful—which was stupid, as she was aboard a black-and-white ship. Standing right in front of her was who many called the Ghost King. He wore a plain black shirt, a slightly too-large aviators jacket and slacks, paired with boots and a tricorne. It was a new look, for a pirate like him. He also surprisingly had a calm, collected demeanour as he carried himself with confidence.

"Welcome aboard the Midnight, lads." he said, his brown eyes scanning every person that stood before him. Then he noticed the dripping wet blonde who shivered beside Reyna. How Percy somehow managed to get her safely out of the water, she had absolutely no clue.

The captain frowned and whispered something to a girl that stood in attention behind him. She seemed to be a relative of his, as they both had great similarities when it came to their appearance. Both had strong facial features, olive skin, dark hair, and brown eyes that held the look of pain. Why was there so much suffering in them?

"This is my First Mate, Bianca."

His voice brought her back to reality. Bianca smiled politely at the five of them, then waved a hand in welcome. "My brother has allowed to give you quarter for the time being," she said, her tone light.

"It's an honor to meet you, Bianca." Leo piped up, swiftly picking up her hand and planting a light kiss on it. Smooth move, Valdez. Reyna wanted to laugh at his flirtatious attitude.

The other girl snorted, but a faint blush creeped onto her cheeks. "And what are you called?"

"Leo Valdez, ma'am! At your service," the Latino said with a wink, giving her a salute. Reyna elbowed him in the ribs with a murderous look on her face.

"Yeah, uh," the prince said, giving the captain a nervous grin. "I'm Percy Jackson, this is Annabeth Chase,"

The daughter of Bellona spoke up. "I'm Reyna, and this is my sister Hylla Arellano. And that," she motioned to the short son of Hephaestus, "is Leo."

"Thank you for having us aboard," Annabeth said, trying to keep her teeth from clattering.

Bianca noticed this and hurriedly whisked her into a room nearby. The young leader of the ship, however, continued eyeing them as if they could be a possible threat to his crew. Reyna noticed that he kept spinning a skull ring on his finger.

"Percy Jackson, huh."

The said demigod looked uneasy. "Yeah, that'd be me."

"Walk with me," the captain said, his voice hardened and monotone. Percy hesitated, but he obliged. Soon, it was only the three surrounded by curious crewmen.

A girl of about thirteen stepped forward. She had rich dark skin, curly brown hair, and golden eyes. She had an aura of respect, and Reyna figured that she was another leader. Was that even possible? As far as the Roman demigod knew, there were only two exclusive positions in a crew: the captain and the first mate. Pirates usually never wanted to split the power and make it a three-way rule, because they'd have more loot for themselves that way.

"I'm Hazel Levesque," she said. She flashed a dazzling smile. She wore only a purple tank top, dark grey pantaloons, and a black bandana that covered the top of her head. She was barefoot, and Reyna was amazed as to how she survived without a thousand splinters on the bottom of her feet.

"Follow me, folks, and don't stray from the group unless you wish to be thrown overboard locked in a chest with rabid weasels."

———————

Percy stood where he was during his dream only hours before, a strong feeling of déjà vu unnerving him greatly. The captain's quarters was bigger in real life.

"I'm Nico di Angelo, but I would prefer that you use Captain if you don't want to get skewered."

A smile tugged on Percy's lips. "If you say so,"

Nico nodded with satisfaction before leaning onto his desk, his thin arms crossed over his chest. "Were you lying when you said you had information about the Island of the Blessed?"

The taller boy looked offended at the statement. "Of course not!"

"Then spill, or I'll have to throw your lot into the sea."

"Such a subtle approach, captain."

Nico snorted, rolling his eyes. Percy told him everything he knew anyways. "They've found some sort of key with carvings of an ancient sort on it. Thalia and her crew have been trying to trail your ship for the past year because they believed that you possess the item of their desire. It's a small piece of bone from a creature living in the depths of Tartarus,"

Nico suddenly looked interested, his face lighting up like a small child's. "And what is this creature called?"

"Small Bob,"

"Pardon?"

"We gave it a name so we wouldn't have to say 'the stupid extinct monster whose skull is apparently the key to an island that the Hunter wants to get to'," Percy shrugged. "Anyways, it's a spartus legend says was created from the tooth and blood of Chaos himself; literally. It was said the first of its kind, and the skull that was left behind in the pile of monster dust when it was first killed is the key."

"Do you know what it looks like?" Nico asked, leaning forward slightly. "And what language was used in the inscriptions on it?"

"Yep," the prince smiled. "But you'll have to promise me something first."

"I already gave my word to not throw you overboard," the captain pointed out. "What more do you want?"

"To not tell anyone that it was I who handed you this information,"

"Done,"

"And," he hesitated. "Promise you wont harm my crew in any way possible."

"Crew?" Nico asked warily. "An interesting choice of words, Jackson. You're a captain?"

Percy's face reddened. "A prince, actually."

The Ghost King thought in silence for a while before extending a pale hand. "You drive a hard bargain, prince. I shall agree on all terms, as long as you don't hurt any one from my crew."

"I swear it on the River Styx," the raven haired boy said as he nodded, shaking the captain's bony hand.

"Very well. As do I,"

Thunder boomed overhead, so loudly that Percy thought he felt the boat shudder. Then he scanned the room cautiously, as if he expected an attack. "It's a small, delicate, and unique piece of bone." then his sea green eyes landed on the hand of Nico di Angelo.

"Just like the one on your ring."

****
I missed three days of school because I went on a trip to Hong Kong nice. Anyways, I'll be updating no more than once a week now, as school is deadly as hell and I'm currently being buried under the piles of undone homework and arriving quizzes someone please save my soul.

-Abby