3 : s c h o o l i n g

9 July 2016

Sophie Lynch

My school life is as good as it gets. Especially for someone like me. I have two friends; Abby and Michaela. They're always there for me and I wouldn't trade them for the world. You know what they say. Having one or two true friends is better than having a thousand fake ones. Abby and Michaela are those friends.

Abby Ryan; seventeen years of age; prefers the female gender; loves cake. Abby's a really loyal friend and despite scarring experiences like having milk come out of her nose, she's a really fun person to be around. Abby is the type of friend that you go to when you're having a dilemma no matter what that dilemma may be, whether it's boy drama or just choosing an outfit for an event. She's the kind of friend you can count on to keep your secrets lip tight and locked up. And if she doesn't happen to gasp a single word of any secret, she'll immediately tell you and apologise for a week. Yep, a whole week.

Michaela Withers; seventeen years old; straight and proud; a real jokester. Michaela is, well, the comedian of our little trio. She's like my father in a way. She loves making people laugh. Michaela likes to keep people happy and make sure they're never down. I know the story behind her motivation in doing so. Her brother had committed suicide. It took Michaela a while to get back on her feet after his funeral, but three years later she's back to being her funny, happy self. She's a ten. I adore her.

Now that I think about it... If it really came down to it, I would be their duff. Not that me being their duff has anything to do with, well, anything, but additional information never hurt anyone.

"Sophie!" Michaela cheers as she runs through the halls, tripping over a teachers foot along the way. The teacher helps her up and she stands there staring at him for a few moments until Abby comes along and pulls her away, leading her towards me at my locker.

"Hi Soph," Abby smiles, letting go of Michaela's arm as they come to a stop.

"Hi," I chuckle, pulling books out of my locker and putting them into my bag. It's almost time for my third period class and I don't want to be unprepared like yesterday. I was five minutes late and I got a tardy of my own. I felt like Ricky. It's my senior year, I can't be slacking off.

"What was that about?" Abby asks Michaela as I occupy myself.

"I don't know," she shrugs. "Did you not see him? He's gorgeous." I close my locker and turn towards my two best friends as they banter back and forth.

"You think he's gorgeous? Michaela, he's a teacher." Abby replies, seeming rather horrified at Michaela's taste in men.

"That may be so, but you have to admit that Mr Hales is hot as fuck." Michaela nods approvingly, sighing as if she's thinking of Mr Hales as we speak.

"Alright whatever, but we have to get to class so stop drooling before you make us late." Abby complains, rolling her eyes at our overly happy friend.

"You're just jealous that you don't like him." Michaela says and I furrow my eyebrows together in confusion.

"How would I be jealous if I don't like him?" Abby asks.

"Yeah," I pipe up. "That makes no sense."

"She likes girls so she's missing out." Michaela shrugs, beginning to skip her way to her third period.

"Did that really just happen?" I ask Abby with raised eyebrows. "Is she crazy?"

Abby sighs, "I don't know anymore."

I shake my head goodheartedly as Abby begins to follow our lunatic of a best friend, both hands hooked in her backpack straps.

I shuffle around in my bag to check that I've got everything and when I decide that I do, I turn in the direction of my classroom and make my way to my music class. I observe the many try-hard school club posters as I pass through the corridors. There are so many and they all seem to be bright and colourful. I guess they aim to capture your attention? Well, only one seems to catch my attention and I find myself stopping to observe it in all of its dull, dark colours.

Band auditions!!
Sign up now.
Auditions start on the first day of next semester.
Looking for a lead singer. Male or female, we don't discriminate.

I tilt my head in interest, contemplating whether I should go or not. I'm not the best musician and my singing skills could use a bit of work, possibly some professional lessons here and there, but it sounds fun. Imagine standing up in front of a large crowd and singing your heart out. Imagine singing so passionately that even the crowd gets into the music. That even the crowd feels the emotions that you're feeling.

Ha, who am I kidding. I wouldn't have the balls to join a band. I'm not outgoing and I would totally freeze up. And like I said before, I'm not the best musician. I bet there are hundreds of better people in this school that will audition anyway, so there's no point in trying out only to fail. Can you imagine me on a stage? In front of a crowd? There is no way that I would be able to pull it off. Not something like that. Not something that big. I would die if I ever did something that bold. Although I wish I was that brave, I'm not and I don't think I ever will be.

I shake my head, stuffing my hands into my pockets as I continue my venture down the empty corridor to get to class. The bell rings for the start of class and I curse, beginning to run my fastest. All of the posters now seem pass by in a blur as my blonde hair whips in the flow of air behind me. I can't get another tardy.