Ch. 17: She's Getting To You (Multi POV)

-Alexandria POV-

Calm down, Alex, I said to myself.

Never had I been so enraged in my life. The muscles in my face twitched as my finger trembled, still pointed at her red, tear-stained face. She put on a good show for Michael; painting herself as the innocent one.

Just calmly explain yourself and Michael will understand.

Every part of me wanted to claw her fucking eyes out. How could one person be so wicked? So self-serving? So--so...EVIL?!

What makes this situation even worse is that poor Annabelle had to be the one to bring the truth to light. She has experienced so much suffering in her short life, and here Karen was: adding to it.

Annabelle tugged on my pale pink dress, "Ms. Alex...am I in trouble? I'm sorry for snooping. Really, I am. I don't want the shiny man to get me" she pleaded. Her innocent voice broke my hellish glare from Karen. Who was this 'shiny man' she kept referring to?

Breathe, Alex. Breathe!

I knelt down until I was eye level with Annabelle. Through a child's eyes, this must be nerve racking. She looked absolutely terrified. Guilt surged through me and sobered my temper. Her eyes bulged like wet, glossy blue orbs as she fought back tears. This poor girl! Grabbing her head in my hands, I calmed myself and reassured her, "you told the truth, Anna. The truth will always come to light--you aren't in any trouble, sweet girl."

I looked up at Michael as he ushered the remaining children into the hallway leading directly to the theater. Surely he didn't want this catastrophe to ruin their day. "Alright guys, quickly!" he started, "E.T. will be starting anytime now--go get your fill of candy, it's on the house!" I saw as the nuns and his lead bodyguard, Bill Bray, lead the children away from the kitchen. It was just Karen, Michael, a quietly weeping Annabelle and me.

The kitchen doors closed with a loud thud. When Michael turned around, it was as if he was a different person. That mouth that was always in a lazy smile was now in a firm line. I saw his strong jaw tense as he wrung his large hands. He seemed to be searching for words. "Alexandria...what...is...going on?" he said slowly. He looked pained; I can't believe she would concoct this elaborate story just to make me look bad.

I recounted as calmly as I could the story young Annabelle told me in the cover of darkness in the windy woods:

Moments Earlier In The Woods

Annabelle's tiny feet crunched in the grass as we made our way toward the main house. I hated to put her in this position, but I had to know why she was scared of Karen and this--this shiny man.

She wound the lace ribbon on her dress around her finger nervously as she cautiously recounted her story:

"It was maybe two weeks ago. Mr. Michael was out of town and I remember it was very early in the morning. Sister Mary Lawrence and the other children were still sleeping in the little houses behind the animal houses. It was our first time visiting the ranch."

"Anyways, I was in the bathroom early that morning when I heard voices. Secret sounding voices, Miss Alex. I know I shouldn't have snooped, but I was just so curious!  I walked super quiet into the dark hallway near our room. That's when I saw Miss Karen. She had a piece of paper and she looked like she was counting."

"She said things like, 'three of them have cancer, 12 of them will die before the year is out, they're super young and weak so that's perfect.'"

"I didn't understand, Miss Alex. Why would sick kids be 'perfect'--I don't like being sick. That's when I heard another voice in the dark hallway. I couldn't really see him good. But I remember his shiny forehead in the moonlight and the smell--he smelled like pizza bread. Like spicy pizza bread."

"I remember him saying my name and how old I was, and also the other kids names and their ages. Kind of like when you're in class and the teacher takes roll call. He laughed and his laugh made my tummy hurt."

"She's bad different, Miss Alex. She smiles for Mr. Michael but I don't think she's a very nice person."

****************************************************************

Michael stared at me incredulous. Annabelle was in tears and shaking. Karen--Karen was smirking at me as she cocked a .45 revolver pointed directly at my head. "You couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?"

Author's Note: This story is nearing its end! Can't wait to write another MJJ fan fiction. Please comment on what theme you guys want for my next MJJ book!