Chapter 3: Meet the Family

The room was small: four white walls, a long table with two people behind it. Jessica joined them behind the table and motioned for me to sit in a small chair across the room. She looked like a cheetah stalking the wounded antelope in the valley. She sat down and laced her long fingers in front of her.

I grabbed the doorknob to let myself in and noticed my hand was shaking. What the hell is happening? Was all of this necessary?

Not only was the Boston accent gone, but her bubbly welcoming smile vanished as well. I grabbed the sides of the chair to steady myself and sat down.

Shit. Stop shaking, Alex.

When I finally had the courage to look up, I saw there was another woman to the far left, she smiled warmly and winked. She was absolutely beautiful. Breathtaking even. She wore a heavily padded purple vest that her dreadlocks grazed. Her complexion reminded me of my mothers, a beautiful deep brown. She gave me the smallest nod which made me feel a little bit better.

I turned my gaze to the man seated in the middle. He was a large white man, with jet black hair pulled in a low ponytail. He balanced a small cigar on his lip. I immediately thought of the mob bosses in those old 1950 black and white films my father used to watch. As intimidating as he looked, he smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

In the third seat was Jessica, if that was even her name. She was still as beautiful as she was on the side walk, but she had an authoritative stance about her now that was off-putting.

There wasn't a stitch of furniture in the room outside of the table and chairs, but there was a camera with a red blinking light behind the panel to indicate it was recording. Why would someone be recording this?

The room was quiet. Too quiet. Jessica shuffled a few papers in front of her as if she was searching for something. I had to break the silence, "so" I started, "I'm guessing you're not from Boston?" I figured I'd go the funny route.

Big mistake.

Jessica stopped shuffling her papers and glared at me scoffing, "God no. Born and raised here in L.A. Before we begin, you should know that if offered--"

"When! You mean when!" Frank bellowed. "Look at that punnim, you think he's gonna say no to that?!" The woman on the left giggled and swatted the man playfully. My eyes darted from person to person and then to the camera.

My potential employer will probably be reviewing this VHS; show some spine Alex! I adjusted my posture and cleared my throat. "So, what exactly does this position call for?"

There. That sounded like a competent sentence.

Jessica broke her hellish stare from the man to answer my question, "this position requires tending to employer in all aspects, from daily activities, to schedule planning, grocery runs, international travel is required--do you have a passport?"

Travel?

Wait.

No, not wait--yes! Freaking score, Alex! "I-I don't have a passport but I could get--"

Jessica interrupted, "we'll be in contact. Thank you, Alex."

Dismissed. Oh.

My face dropped. The man came from around the table with the beautiful woman following close behind. He grabbed my hand and said, "No frowning! Name's Frank. And this beautiful creature," he said motioning towards the black woman, "is Sieddah. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of you soon." He patted my hand gently and moved past me leaving a trail of cigar smokein his wake. Sieddah hugged me and whispered in my ear, "you're perfect. Welcome to the family."

I was so confused.

What family?

Jessica gathered the video recorder and made her way towards the door. Before she left she turned flippng her hair, "My name is Karen. We will be in touch."

Without another word they were gone and I was slack jawed sitting in the same chair. What. Just. HAPPENED?