Chapter 4: Hurry Up and Wait

Four days.

It has been exactly four days since the oddly exciting interview. The interview that seemed life changing to say the least!

I'm not very patient so I spent those days cleaning my tiny apartment, rearranging furniture, painting then repainting my toes and dodging my sweaty landlord. If I had to smell his garlicky breath one more time I think I'd vomit.

It was a dusky Saturday evening when I heard a rhythmic rap on my front door. I was completely caught off guard and my toenails were still wet with a fresh coat of neon purple polish. Balancing on my heels, I waddled over to the door to look out the peep hole. I figured if it was Mr. Patel, I would go throw on the ugliest sweat suit I owned. I still had three days, dammit! I smoothed a brown curl behind my ear and pressed my face against the door. Is that? Is that Karen?!

It was.

She was wearing a slick black pantsuit that made her already platinum blonde hair stand out on the dimly lit porch. Her hands were crossed and she looked visibly upset.

Heart in my stomach, I opened the door and saw that Karen's eyes were red rimmed and puffy as if she just finished having a good hard cry. Her eyes darted to mine as I opened the door. Was she ok?

"Karen...i-is everything okay?" I asked. She flicked her tongue across her teeth and half-smiled. "Oh, everything is perfect," she started. "You're juuuust perfect" she muttered pacing on my doorstep, arms still crossed.

"Would you like to come in? I could make you some herbal tea," I started.

Dammit.

No, I couldn't. I drank the last of my tea yesterday. The only thing I could honestly offer her was expired old mustard or my first born child. As upset as she looked, I knew the news couldn't be good. Either I'll starve to death from lack of groceries or be picked apart by the buzzards on the sidewalk. I wanted, no, needed this job!

After a few moments of silence, Karen seemed to pull herself together. She sighed, "you have received a tentative offer of employment from Kingdom Entertainment. Employee orientation begins as soon as the applicant accep---"

"I ACCEPT!" I squealed interrupting her. Maybe too loud for Karen's liking, but I was stoked! Unbelievable! I was literally jumping up and down. I mean, the way Karen looked, I was almost sure she was here to bring me bad news. Why was she so upset? Maybe a fight with a boyfriend?

Karen's voice interrupted my pondering mind, "As I was saying," she stressed 'saying' out of sheer irritance, "employee orientation begins as soon as the applicant accepts the offer. Seeing how you're so...enthused. I guess now's a good time as any," she said turning on her heel and starting down the steps.

I was confused, where was she going? She stopped at the first step and snapped, "well, are you coming?!"

Wow.

Whoever this Kingdom Entertainment was they meant now. Like, NOW now. I've got to get my ass in gear. I grabbed my shoes and locked the door to my apartment. I wasn't exactly "first day of work" ready; I was in a pale pink cotton crop top covered only by my destroyed overall jean shorts.

Following closely behind a quick-paced Karen, we passed by the large window of the leasing office. Inside sat a sweaty Mr. Patel, his face illuminated by the glow of a small table lamp. He locked eyes with me and gave me his same disgusting lusty smile. I shivered as I imagined him lurking around, pores reeking of garlic. Karen turned around just in time to see my disgusted face.

"Men are pigs," she scoffed. I couldn't help but agree with her, Mr. Patel was toeing a fine line--bordering sexual harassment. I wanted to tell her about all the suggestive requests me had made towards me, but I didn't want to be seen in a negative light. I figured I'd keep it to myself for now.

We walked a few blocks side my side in awkward silence. I figured since we were going to be working together I should at least try to be friendly. "So, um Karen? Who exactly am I. I mean, are we working for? I'm all for discretion but a girl can't help but wonder."

Karen fisted her hands in her pockets and almost giggled.

Wow.

I hadn't seen a real smile on her face since she was Fake Jessica four days ago. And just like that, it was gone. She was back to the scowling, pouty Karen I've become accustomed to. "I'll leave that up to him" she started, "he's a bit of a showman and loves to surprise people."

Karen suddenly stopped in front of a black stretch limousine. The windows were as black as the now dark Californian sky. I noticed this particular street just so happened to have only one working streetlight.

Weird.

Karen opened the door to the limo and the street lights poured onto the floor of the car exposing a large black dress shoe. With an exposed white sock.