chapter 3

The door popped open. My feet taking me across the thresh hold. Without thinking about my next step, I step in open space. I didn't reach for the handle in time. The ground beneath me swayed away. I closed my eyes shutting out the pain that will follow falling the thirteen feet onto the hard metal. Strong arms caught me. When I didn't continue falling, I opened my eyes to sweet chocolate brown eyes staring down at me. His black hair fell into his eyes. White straight teeth lined his mouth. He looked at me concerned.

            "Are you ok?" he asked.

            "Yeah. Just overly excited I guess." I replied as I felt my cheeks soar up in embarrassment.

            "Well, take it easy. You'll be here a while," he said as he helped me onto my feet.

            I just smiled unconsciously at him. He waved goodbye and walked to the attendants. Sean turned me to him and looked me over. He looked really worried.

            "Dude, are you okay? I just see you fall off the ship."

            "Yeah I'm fine." I sing still entranced by the boy who saved me from hurting myself.

            "Earth to Selna," Sean said before sighing and dragging me to the counter.

            "Ma'am name please," the woman said as I dropped back to reality.

            "Selna Syler."

            The woman clicked on her keyboard bringing up a clipboard for me to sign. I read the release form that says I received my keys and equipment. Before I could say I hadn't received it a young man around the age of thirteen brought me a duffel bag that held everything on the sheet. I signed and moved to find my room. Signs above the three main halls that lead away from the lounge and cafeteria area. 100-400 rooms are to the right of the counter. 500-900 were directly behind the counter. 900 and on were on the left side of the counter.

            With a quick glance at my key, I headed in my direction.

            "486.....486...There's 490... 487...Here it is," i mumbled to myself.

            Click! The lock unbolted from the wall and allowed me to open it. I set my bags down in the thresh hold.  With a flip of the switch on the left side of the wall, my room brightened. The walls colored a soft, calming green with blue curtains and blue and green comforter. The pillows soft, fluffy and ready to just be laid on. A flat screen sat in the corner of my room. I turned to my left there it went to my living room, kitchen, and bathrooms. They all had a calming but not girlie painted walls. They were perfect. I ran and flew onto my bed. It conformed to my body after catching me in a warm embrace.

            "Wow how'd you get the best room in the whole station?" someone asked.

            I looked up and a young man stood in the door way gaping at my room. Wow that's not weird at all to just walk into someone’s room without a warning or invitation. I thought.

            "I don't know. um.... who are you?"  I asked as I got off my bed and confront the guy.

            He was a guy around my age, nineteen. He had buzz-cut red hair. Freckles sprinkled all over his face underneath his eyes and on the bridge of his nose. He was a little taller than I was, maybe around Susan's height.  His curious brown eyes looked around my room before landing on me. He was cute, but that never stops me from kicking their butt if they need it.

            "Oh! Sorry. I couldn't resist. Everyone talks about room 486 all the time. They say that's where the Founder of this school was kidnapped by the Others. See that curtain," he said as he moved my blue curtains away to reveal an enormous window. "The vampire made this hole and they filled it was a tough window. It actually is pretty cool."