chapter 10

"No! Why would you think that?" I lied as I worried where his allegiances lie

            "Those moves were no longer taught once the Roman Empire fell. Only the people living from those times and were vampires know them. The moves are almost impossible for a human to make as perfect as you just did. Besides the difficulty of them the amount of time that has passed since they were last taught should have altered them. Instead it was almost as if they were taught to you by the masters in that time period."

            "How do you know this?"

            "I did some research the last night since I heard about the fight."

            “I still don't believe you." I looked around away from Zach who was frustratingly stubborn. Why is he trying to pry where he doesn't belong?

            "Selna, calm down!" Tanya exclaimed as she got between Zach and me. "Zach stop! Sean, grab Selna. Greg, take Zach away."

            Sean struggled to get a hold of me. Everything in me wanted to teach Zach to keep out of my business. Greg guided Zach out and locked the door behind him.

            "Selna look at me." Tanya ordered. I did as she said. "Calm down. Why are you getting upset?"

            "That boy doesn't know when to stop! I don't know if I can trust him. No one is supposed to know about my family. He's not taking a hint-. Wait, how did you guys know I was upset?"

            "Dude, your marks started to glow again. You had that ancient appearance like when you were fighting with your muscles tensing up. It's amazing how blind Zach can be." Sean explained.

            "What? No way. Oh man." I needed to calm down enough to really take in what they were saying, I thought. "That would've been really bad. Can I go?"

            "Selna, you must wait till Greg has spoken with you. Right now he should be speaking to Zach about his behavior." Tanya informed me. I collapsed into a chair by the TV.

            We waited in silence. Sean kept watching the video. His amazement was pretty easy to see. Tanya kept watching me and Mentor Small. I played with my phone until I saw something in my purse. It was Jay's note. I opened it.

Dear Selna,

            How are you? I’m fine, but I’m missing you. Nothing is the same anymore. I don’t know if you know this yet. Nothing is as it seems. Please be careful with whom you trust. I want you to come home in one piece. I’ll explain everything but only in person. Please where this ring all the time.  Call me any time. My number is: 2-684-932-4459

You best guy friend,

Jay

            Out fell a black ring that was as black as onyx when I tilted the envelope. The metal looked like thorn vines that were whipping around in the ring. Dark blue gems were at the base of the thorns. It was beautiful in a dark kind of way.

            I put it on my right middle finger. The other gifts were in my bag. Susan’s and Fred’s gifts went on next. Only Fred’s gift matched. Tanya saw the entire thing.

            “Who gave those to you?” Tanya gestured toward the jewelry.

            “Oh my best friends each made me something and put them in an envelope with a note and number. I told them not to, but most of the time my friends don’t listen to me,” I laughed at the end.